Help, I've fallen and I can't get up!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chepar

Contributor
Reaction score
Now that I've introduced myself on the "meet and greet", get ready, 'cause here's my first newbie question (and forgive me that it's SO long for such a lame one) . . .

Does getting used to the weight of the dive gear on your back ever get any easier? My rather (humiliating) case in point:

Our 4 OW certification dives this past weekend (2 on Saturday, 2 on Sunday) were shore dives at a location that I have heard is one of the easiest ones on Oahu for beginning divers. Well, while it never occurred to me, it should have - dive gear is HEAVY. I had almost 50 lbs on my back, which I am not used to.

It's a little bit of a way from the set up area (a pavilion) down to the beach, across the beach and into the water. Actually, the distance in total is no more than 50 yards (maybe less), but with 50 lbs on my back, it seemed like forever. Going to the water is downhill (a gradual slope), and returning from the dive to the pavilion is uphill (with deep sand on the beach). Anyway, I was ok the first 3 dives. On the last dive, it probably was a cumulative tiredness, but when I came up to shore, as with the previous 3 dives, I had to step up a 1 foot high ledge of sand to get on the beach area. I was trying to step up this ledge when a wave came from behind and knocked me over. At this point I started to resemble a beached whale. The weight on my back started tipping me over to my right, and I could not get up. As I was flailing around, my instructor came over to help me up, but even getting my leg up under me, I couldn't stand. Eventually I think he ended up grabbing my tank and hauled me to a standing position. Needless to say, that was the low point of my day.

I don't think I am a total couch potato (but close!) - I swim 3/4 to 1 mile 5 times a week, but it appears to me that I am a 130 lb weakling. It was especially discouraging when I saw other women with their dive gear on their back, bopping around with apparently no difficulty, while I was bent over and felt like Atlas with the weight of the world on my shoulders.

Once I'm in the water, I'm fine. The surface swim to the descent area, the dive, the swim back is all ok. It's just on land I feel like a supremo clodhopper.

Does this get easier with time? Do I need to start lifting weights? Should I only do boat dives? (This is not too feasible, as the expense is pretty high, and as a single parent, I have a kiddie to support). Other shore dive locations here that I have heard about sound even more daunting - longer walks, areas to climb. Any input would be greatly appreciated!

No amount of courses and diving is going to make 50 lbs less than 50 lbs

but..

first of all, was it a rental BC? If so, maybe having your own BC might make the weight more manageable as it will fit better. The fact that it was tipping you over to the right indicates to me that it might have been too loose and the shifting weight may have been the reason for some of your discomfort.

Second, you'll get used to moving with the weight as you do it more. I say this because it seems that you didn't have trouble with the weight just moving with it. (Oh and remember - If you are 130 lbs; then you are working with over 1/3 of your weight on your back.)

Third - If you still have problems, make multiple trips to the water's edge. Carry the tank on on trip, the BC on a second, weights etc on another trip. It aint a race.

Fourth - Invest in a Dive Sherpa :D

Hope that this helps.

Case in Point for the foundation of Dive Caddy's. I think this has merit and teenagers can have jobs during the summer months or whenever off school. I would be willing to pay them to carry my stuff to the appropriate place.

Also when walking you might find it is easier if you lean forward a bit, so as to balance the weight more properly on your body.

But OD is right 50 lbs is 50 lbs. But on a lucky note at least you don't have as much as I carry since I am so damn bouyant, in the ocean with only a skin I was wearing 34 pounds of weight, the BCD and tank and regs probably pushing 45 pounds or more so I had closer to 80 on my back.

P.S. Shore dives are hard in that you may have to contend with surf and longer walks, whereas on boat dives they will hand you your gear right before you get in the water. Or at least they have on all the boat dives I have been on.

The feeling like a total klutz. They're doing is why can't I?

You will get use to the extra weight, but in the mean time, OD's given you good advice. Remember that you are carrying all that extra stuff on your back, it not only has the weight you mention, but it throws your center of balance off. Multiple trips from the shore to your equipment drop off location is not a bad thing.

Yes, for those of us on the smaller side, the extra weight of the gear is disproportionate. Quite a few of our beach spots here have flights of stairs or hillsides...
But what are the odds of your doing 4 dives like that again in such rapid succession?

I had to smile as I read your thread, as I remembered my first beach dive after OW was in Maui, and the surf combined with the weight of the gear got the best of me. I also fell over backward, caught myself against the rocks and then sunk down in the sand to my knees. My brother had to haul me up. I have also been an active rower and thought my strength was good in my legs, HA! Not good enough. Another thought came to mind about the disproprotion of weight the last boat dives I made we entered the boat dive platform by pulling belly up, getting on our knees while others pulled off our fins, then crawled on on fours onto the boat deck. Once on deck we were to stand up, HA! I say again as I could not pull up onto my feet , again I had to be hauled up by my tank. Don't feel bad, just accept the help. :wink:

arggghhhhh.......

brings back memories from shaw's cove..........oh i hate those stairs....all the way up the cliff, dragging 15 each pounds of water in my wetsuit........

Think good thoughts....think happy thoughts..... :boom:

a few things that might help you out:

1. take your weight belt, place it at the water's edge, put it on as you are getting in the water, no need to carry that around on shore while you have the other additional weight of other gear

2. lean forward to distribute the weight of the tank more evenly

3. leave the reg in your mouth in case you fall in the surf

Syruss:
how much are you willing to pay a dive sherpa? I can be available most weekends if you pay the airfare.

Chepar,

It does get better over time. The first time I put on a "rig" I thought to myself "this is ridiculous!". Now, it's no big deal.

One thought-find a friend with a set of doubles. Put those on first and then put your single tank on. It will feel like a feather!!

Originally posted by Kane(adian)
a few things that might help you out:

1. take your weight belt, place it at the water's edge, put it on as you are getting in the water, no need to carry that around on shore while you have the other additional weight of other gear

2. lean forward to distribute the weight of the tank more evenly

3. leave the reg in your mouth in case you fall in the surf

Syruss:
how much are you willing to pay a dive sherpa? I can be available most weekends if you pay the airfare.

Uh lets see if I understand... I pay airfair and your fee and you carry my gear....

If I were Bill Gates, you could Sherp for me right now....Lemme think on this a bit hehehehe

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom