Help - Inguinal Hernial & Diving booked

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gui111

New
Reaction score
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Hello guys,

I am a 21 years old male with an asymptomatic inguinal hernia (indirect I think), right sided only, that is not so little but it is not enormous, it is limited. Never had pain when lifting charges, or any difficulty "passing" back in the hole. I never felt it was trapped.

I have a 3 days dive class booked in 2 weeks...

I read the many posts and I understand the risks... But I also read about a hernia support belt, that can prevent the hernia from popping out. So, it may not be confortable, but if the hernia does not "go out" when diving, the related gas danger/problem should not happen?

I know I must ask a surgeon anyway and I will, but just wanted to have a couple of replies here please.

Thank you very much,
Gui

Um, I've gone beach diving and boat diving with inquinal hernias on both sides and didn't have any problems. The one on the right was on the verge of becoming strangulated. I never wore any kind of support but I guess it couldn't hurt. ( pun not intended).

an asymptomatic inguinal hernia should not affect diving per se but I don't think you should be doing
any heavy lifting. Trusses, IMO are useless. A hernia in a 21 year old should be repaired.

Not sure what "on the verge of strangulation" means. Hernias that cannot be reduced are called "incarcerated". Non reducible hernias with trapped bowel on the verge of dying are called "strangulated". Both of these are surgical emergencies.

Both of you guys should consult a surgeon. Elective hernia repair will prevent potentially life threatening problems.

Hi Gui111,

A number of the diving medicine experts of whom I am aware think that diving with an unrepaired inguinal hernia is not a prudent action.

The primary concern is that a section of small intestine will protrude through the inguinal canal & become trapped. Schlepping heavy suitcases, lifting tanks & other scuba gear, or water entry could cause a protrusion to occur. If the protrusion does not reduce while diving, upon ascent gas commonly in that area of bowel could expand to the extent that the intestinal segment is no longer able to retract into the abdomen. With continued entrapment, very serious problems can arise that require emergency surgery to correct.

Undergoing repair and complete healing of the hernia before returning to scuba is the best way of avoiding a potential medical crisis.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Back
Top Bottom