Help identifying tanks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The white cylinder:

M8303: DOT manufacturer facility identifier
Faber: Manufacturer
01A96+: Original hydrostatic test date (+ = the cylinder can be filled to 10% above the service pressure)
DOT: US Department of Transportation
3AA: seamless steel cylinder
2400: Service pressure = 2400psi
96/9002/114: batch and serial number

-Z

I was wondering about that. Not having the DOT stamp got me thinking. I was hoping there was some sort of reciprocity or something. Oddly enough it does have a vis sticker from the dive shop, but no stamp for an updated hydro.

I wonder of a shop would hydro it since it has no DOT stamp??

The VIS (visual inspection) is not a government regulated inspection, it is a SCUBA industry imposed standard and is not tied to the periodic hydrostatic test which is a government regulated standard (DOT in the US).

If a cylinder was brought over from the Europe, it is possible the owner had a US based shop do a visual inspection and then used his own compressor to fill it, it would be understandable for the shop to slap a vis sticker on it in this case. Perhaps the previous owner had his own compressor, or the rescue/dive team had a compressor that he used to fill it, or perhaps he was friends with a shop owner who filled it for him....one would have to speak with the previous owner to know for sure.

There is reciprocity between the US (DOT) and Canada (TC)...unfortunately there is no reciprocity for gas cylinder standards between North America and Europe....I know how much it sucks because I had to give up a nice 12 liter steel cylinder when I moved back to the US 2 years ago (I donated it to the club I was a member of).

-Z

Ill grab measurements. But yeah. I'm guessing it is since there is an m25 marking. Does that matter?

It matters such that the M25-2 valve threading is similar enough to 3/4-inch NPTS valve threading that the 2 can potentially be screwed into a mismatched tank...the slight mismatch in threading will permit the valve to be threaded in but not without causing damage to the threads in the cylinder neck and/or the threads on the base of the valve. The damaged threads may hold pressure at first but ultimately they will fail with potential lethal results.

-Z

It matters such that the M25-2 valve threading is similar enough to 3/4-inch NPTS valve threading that the 2 can potentially be screwed into a mismatched tank...the slight mismatch in threading will permit the valve to be threaded in but not without causing damage to the threads in the cylinder neck and/or the threads on the base of the valve. The damaged threads may hold pressure at first but ultimately they will fail with potential lethal results.

-Z
Oh interesting. That's a good thing to know. I assumed you wouldnt be able to mess it up but yeah I can understand the danger of you did this.

Reactions: Zef
The white cylinder:

M8303: DOT manufacturer facility identifier
Faber: Manufacturer
01A96+: Original hydrostatic test date (+ = the cylinder can be filled to 10% above the service pressure)
DOT: US Department of Transportation
3AA: seamless steel cylinder
2400: Service pressure = 2400psi

-Z
Thank you for all the info! You've been a lot of help. Maybe I missed this or maybe this is a dumb question but how do I find the volume of the cylinder?

Thank you for all the info! You've been a lot of help. Maybe I missed this or maybe this is a dumb question but how do I find the volume of the cylinder?

For the blue cylinder the volume is 15 liters....that is the liquid capacity of the cylinder. To get the air volume you take the volume in liters and mulitply by the pressure the cylinder is filled to and that gives you volume of air in liter. Since your cylinder has a service pressure of 232 bar, when filled to that pressure you would have 3480 liters of air (15 x 232) which converts to roughly 123 CUFT of air.

For the white cylinder, based on the measurements you posted above, my guess is you have an LP95 (95CUFT). I have attached a couple of charts for reference.

from: Faber 232 bar 15L Steel Cylinder with DIN/K Valve - Indepth Scuba
1693456458462.png

-Z

Attachments

• SCUBA Tank Chart Imperial.pdf
    450.6 KB · Views: 55
I wonder of a shop would hydro it since it has no DOT stamp??
If the shop has the correct threaded adaptor M25 they might hydro the cylinder but they would not stamp it. However, I doubt they have the adaptor.

The reason they would not stamp it is because the RIN is DOT associated. The cylinder is not DOT rated.

The white cylinder:

year / batch / sequence == serial number

Thanks so much everyone! That is a real bummer on the blue one. I guess I'll give it back to him and let him deal with it. It sounds like he did most of his diving with the local rescue team and they had all the stuff. So it's likely that he really never even tried to use it in the states.

What is a good price on the white one? Knowing it is out of hydro and vis?

$150 figuring you are going to spend $75+ for the hydro & vis.

Back
Top Bottom