• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Help for older eyes needed

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by BoatingDave, Jan 24, 2019.

1. ReadyDiverOne

ReadyDiverOne Barracuda

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Awesome many thanks super helpful.

2. caruso

caruso Banned

I'm not familiar with this product however it may have to do with the location of the optical center of the lens which would be in a different location for a right vs a left lens. The concern is "induced prism" which can cause eyestrain or even diplopia (double vision).

3. jgttrey

jgttrey ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

The actual lens is perfectly round and symmetrical - no up, down, left or right. No way (or need) to orient it on the mask. I'm not an optometrist, but I can't conceive how it could be eye-specific unless one eye works differently than the other. I can vouch for the fact that it works just as well on the right side. If I can figure out posting a picture, I'll try to do it.

ReadyDiverOne and caruso like this.
  4. caruso

caruso Banned

Since there is no specific orientation required then the optical center is directly in the middle of the lens and therefore no valid reason for the manufacturer to refer to it as a "left" lens.

5. jgttrey

Let's see if this works....

20190213_211932_resized.jpg

20190213_211816_resized.jpg 20190213_211750_resized.jpg

Boiler_81, scrane and ReadyDiverOne like this.
  6. caruso

caruso Banned

Due to the shape of your mask it's only possible to put it in one location near the bottom, if you were to raise it higher then you could move it a bit left or right depending on what works for you but if was too high then it would obstruct your view beyond arms length. For divers using this product it might be better to consider a mask that has a wider field of view i.e. more glass at the bottom so the lens could be moved in or out. As per at least one reviewer on the Amazon site, the lens is intended for use on the left side because that's where a diver's gauges usually are, but of course that can vary. In the end it's a matter of what works best for your configuration. Optics and eyes have nothing to do with it other than most people are "right eye" dominant and that's the eye that is typically left uncorrected for distance because it's more comfortable to see far away with the dominant eye.

7. jgttrey

I'm just trying to illustrate what it look like. I'm super happy with them.

For me, I find the location ideal - out of the way except when I look down to check computer. That's one reason I didn't like, for example, the gauge reader mask from DGX. YMMV, but the reader part was so big that I find it distracting and in the way for the 99% of the time I'm looking at things more than 12 inches away.

Again, YMMV, but I greatly prefer this to the cheap plastic paste on things. You can see from the pics that it's a much better, sharper solution, albeit more expensive.

The last factor me is that I had to work pretty hard to find the perfect mask for my face, especially one that doesn't slightly leak gas. Thats a real pain on CCR where it ultimately means you lose enough loop volume that you've got to make adjustments. So, I'd much rather find the perfect mask and bolt on good readers. Finding specialty mask that fits my face as well as this model might have been a challenge. Or at least more work than I wanted to undertake.

scrane and ReadyDiverOne like this.
  8. ReadyDiverOne

ReadyDiverOne Barracuda

@jgttrey I totally agree, it’s ALL about the mask! And I think the manufacturer says (not just a reviewer) that there’s one and it should be installed on the left mask side “because that’s where most divers have their gauges.” So thanks again they look good will definitely try next time. Thanks again.

9. Chris_A

Chris_A Angel Fish

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    I was just coming back to this as I have been looking around at different masks. I am looking at a ScubaPro Spectra mask with the two lenses in it but I am also looking at the full lenses masks as well. I am just trying to figure out which one to go with as I have played with a few at the dive shop just need to figure out which one to go with.

10. Boiler_81

Boiler_81 Solo Diver

I use the same lens. I have one mounted in the left side of my masks. It does a nice job as a gauge reader as I wear my primary computer on my left wrist. I wear a backup on my right wrist and can read it my moving my right wrist in from of my face and cocking my head to the right.