Help for Gabi

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dave Dillehay

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Last month I personally donated $1000 for the rehab of Gabi Loco, who I consider a true hero in his efforts to save Opal in this tragic incident.

To be honest I did not know either of them, but feel very sorry for Gabi as he does not have even the basic Mexican Social Security that could provide survival funds for he and his family.

I will provide up to another $1000 to his family, as matching funds that are dropped off, at our Aldora Office during the month of October. We will have a donation account set up there, which is on calle 5, right behind the McDonalds and across the street from the chamber where Gabi is getting continued treatment. So if you can't give through paypal, or wire, just drop by and give your left over pesos if nothing else.

I believe that his rehab costs are covered but his family has to eat, and that is the reason for this offer. There may be more to come, but God willing he will recover enough to work at some level.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I will be down at the end of October and will stop by with my donation... Thanks for all that you have done to help with this tragic event. I have been diving with Gabi for several years and he is really a good guy and I will do what I can to help.

I donated a (much smaller) amount to both Opal & Gabi equally.

I had thought of a way that a voluntary 'fund' could be setup when worldwide divers go to that region for diving. IOW, the next time we go down to Coz, we could either put money in this fund beforehand, or, once "there". However I don't think I would trust the various LDS's to properly collect and distribute.

So at this point, just thoughts, musings...

Dear Marg,

Only those shops that operate within the law, and pay payroll taxes can get their employees on Social Security. Those that charge very low rates, try $50 to $60 per trip, do not and their employees cannot get health care and disability insurance from the system. So while many Cozumel fans enjoy very low rates for diving from their "friends", in fact they are not doing a favor to those they are friends with. Gabi is a prime example of this.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

We will not be there til Nov 2. How do we access the paypal account now to contribute?

Dave can I send you money through aldoras web site or can I call the shop and use my bank card? Thanks for your efforts.

Dave, Your actions are exceedingly kind and thoughtful and I am sure much appreciated by Gabi. There is no doubt that within the context of a dive frought with problems Gabi stands out as a hero.

As one of those friends and customers of SM I am very concerned by the fact that their business model has left Gabi and in fact all of the employees without some of the protections that we accept as standard. In retrospect I wish that they had charged me an extra 15 or 20 dollars more a tank and thereby ensured more protection for the employees. I personally tried to make up for the low price with tips but clearly that was more a matter of: "giving a man a fish rather than teaching him to fish". The SM draw I am sure would have been there even with higher prices as Opal would still have had that infectious smile and amazing way about her.

This also makes me wonder how many other ops could be doing this and if there are other corners bieng cut as well that could put the consumers at risk from a safety point of view. I know I am ultimately responsible for my own safety but their are things that are beyond my control that I look to a dive shop for like safe tanks, safe boats, safe practices and whilst I always felt very safe in the hands of SM, there is no doubt that this whole situation besides heart breaking and painful has also made me more aware and much more likely to question some of the dive practices I took for granted everywhere I dive (stateside and foreign).

Once again your gesture is most gracious.

Craig

Back
Top Bottom