Help! First time to Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I can certainly see using the cost as an excuse to not dive Grand Cayman for somebody on a budget. That was one of the reasons I suggested Bonaire in my previous post in terms of getting more dives per dollar via shore diving. But what you are claiming about GC is something very different, that it is expensive AND has terrible diving. I think you have given abundant explanation in past threads that you were with a group that dove some very bad areas off of GC repeatedly. You may indeed be correct to state that the diving on those sites was worthy of never doing again at any price. What I can't understand is why you would acknowledge that what you saw may not have been representative of the best the islands have to offer, but then proceed anyway to the conclusion that none of the diving on the island could possibly be worth returning for or anybody else paying higher prices for. That flies in the face of just about every other review I have ever seen from anybody who has dived the Caymans. People complain plenty about the cost or the lack of true topside local cultural attractions, etc. But I have never seen somebody just so dead set on the idea that the diving is just flat terrible. There just seems to be a complete disconnect between the circumstances that led to you having a bad trip and your conclusion about who or what is to blame for the bad trip. You seem to have gone with a trip leader who led you very poorly, yet you steadfastly blame the island for the bad experience instead of the group leader. I guess I just won't ever understand that type of mentality...

Depending on how comfortable you are with stuff, you can do Cayman pretty cheaply if you are willing to shore dive and do it on your own without a dive op. Quick thumbnail guide:
* Book accommodation on Air BnB.
* Rent car.
* Bring own dive gear.
* Rent tanks and weights from dive op daily.
* Buy groceries and cook rather than eating out.

It 'aint exactly Bonaire, but you can certainly do it pretty economically if you are confident enough. Helps if you have been before of course.

Disclosure: I have never done Cayman that way. I have certainly vacationed cheaply, but I usually end up diving with an operator because no one else in my family dives, and I am not quite brave enough to go diving solo on sites that I am not familiar with. Although it must be said, Cayman diving is pretty damn civilised in terms of diving conditions for the most part.

We have dove Grand Cayman on the cheap for many years and it is not hard to do. In addition we have dove S. Florida and the St. Lawrence River extensively and have made multiple trips to Hawaii, Roatan, Cozumel, USVI, St. Maarten, Dominican Republic, Bahamas and others over the past 10 years. I have never spent over $1,500 USD on a week long trip to GC. Here is my trip report from GC last year:http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/cayman-islands/481678-my-little-dive-report.html

I guess I just won't ever understand that type of mentality...
Just consider yourself fortunate that it looks like you won't have to deal with it on a boat there.

Different strokes, everyone has their priorities and preferences and that's fine. I do think it's generally best to make travel decisions based on facts though.

The OP, Hesslerca, has not been on ScubaBoard since she posted on March 11, so I think we are talking into a vacuum ...

As a matter of curiosity only, why would someone ask for help and then not stop by to receive it (or ask further questions)?

Thank you. I tried them and they offered me a two dive a day package with adding additional dives al la carte. Can probably do that and it seems like it is out of the way.

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 11:29 AM ----------

Wow. Thank you for the information. A lot to think about.

The OP, Hesslerca, has not been on ScubaBoard since she posted on March 11, so I think we are talking into a vacuum ...

As a matter of curiosity only, why would someone ask for help and then not stop by to receive it (or ask further questions)?

My guess---------he/she died..........:)

---------- Post added March 17th, 2015 at 08:42 AM ----------

+1. We have done the same.

We used to do that in the late 80's & 90's--------------when you bring yourself---wife---& 3 kids---all 5 divers---you HAVE to.....ole Seaview saved us a bunch of money...:).......But, GC got too crowded, starting in '93 or so-----so we bought on Roatan in '94.....

Back
Top Bottom