Help finding a computer to fit my wants...:)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I honestly think an SPG is the way to go. It's really not that big of a hassle (significantly smaller than your typical computer console).

I didn't find it tough at all using a basic Aeris XR-1 and a SPG. Rather, it was quite nice since I only need to look at the computer for depth and dive time. There's less to go wrong and I feel that you don't want a computer to be too cluttered (I've never used AI wireless so I can't be too exact).

If you don't mind going this way, I'd suggest the Nitek Duo or Zeagle N2ition. I got mine for 200 used which IMO, a very good deal. It's a solid computer and does everything I need to with a large screen.

I would not recommend getting an air-integrated dive computer simply because you forget to check your remaining gas supply. IMO, that's poor diving practice and should be corrected before you move forward with the sport. Air-integrated dive computers make sense for people who prefer the convenience of checking their remaining gas supply AND NDLs/elapsed bottom time/depth all in one unit. FWIW, it takes very little effort to check an analog SPG and a separate dive computer periodically throughout a dive.

My dive computer has a watch-style form factor. It sounds like a great idea to be able to wander around topside with a dive computer strapped to your wrist. In reality, this just increases the chance that you'll damage it in some way. Depending on how much you sweat and where the water contacts are located, you may find that the dive computer function will activate while topside and theoretically this could drain the battery faster. For this reason, I tend to only wear the dive computer when I'm diving. Moreover, some older divers find that reading a small watch face can be difficult. You may want to take this info into account when making your purchasing decision.

I would recommend spending about $300 on a nitrox-capable, easy-to-read, non-air-integrated dive computer with an intuitive interface, a gauge mode, and a user-replaceable battery. Most dive gear manufacturers have models in their computer line which match this feature list. Get a separate, tried-and-true Suunto SK-7 compass and a brass-and-glass analog SPG. This setup will serve you well for many years to come.

Personally, I don't regard a dive computer as a "life support" device. It's a piece of gear that gives me depth and dive time information as well as calculates NDLs for me. Since I always dive with a buddy, I can very easily do cross-checks to validate that my computer is displaying reasonable numbers for a given dive. FWIW, I could just as easily get along with a waterproof watch, an analog depth gauge, and dive tables. Nevertheless, divers who do multi-level, multi-day, repetitive dive profiles can benefit substantially (with respect to NDLs) from using a dive computer over tables.

I honestly think an SPG is the way to go. It's really not that big of a hassle (significantly smaller than your typical computer console).
I realize that many think I am probably nuts because I personally think it's hard to find and read mine, the gear my class used was, I believe a Suunto Cobra 3, which showed air supply, I personally found it hard to read and find, it was clipped to my BCD and like I said, every time I would reach for it I would end up with my low pressure inflater

I didn't find it tough at all using a basic Aeris XR-1 and a SPG. Rather, it was quite nice since I only need to look at the computer for depth and dive time. There's less to go wrong and I feel that you don't want a computer to be too cluttered (I've never used AI wireless so I can't be too exact).
Are you saying that even computers with a hose to the tank shouldn't be trusted?

If you don't mind going this way, I'd suggest the Nitek Duo or Zeagle N2ition. I got mine for 200 used which IMO, a very good deal. It's a solid computer and does everything I need to with a large screen.
Thanks for the suggestions, I'll look into them :)

I would not recommend getting an air-integrated dive computer simply because you forget to check your remaining gas supply. I'm not sure I understand you here, that is why I want it integrated and on my wrist, so I won't forgetIMO, that's poor diving practice and should be corrected before you move forward with the sport. Air-integrated dive computers make sense for people who prefer the convenience of checking their remaining gas supply AND NDLs/elapsed bottom time/depth all in one unit. That's what I want, so again, I am confused about your first remarks FWIW, it takes very little effort to check an analog SPG and a separate dive computer periodically throughout a dive.

My dive computer has a watch-style form factor. It sounds like a great idea to be able to wander around topside with a dive computer strapped to your wrist. In reality, this just increases the chance that you'll damage it in some way. Depending on how much you sweat and where the water contacts are located, you may find that the dive computer function will activate while topside and theoretically this could drain the battery faster. For this reason, I tend to only wear the dive computer when I'm diving. Moreover, some older divers find that reading a small watch face can be difficult. You may want to take this info into account when making your purchasing decision.
That is something that I had not thought of, I do not sweat much but my fiance does. Thanks for the heads up!

I would recommend spending about $300 on a nitrox-capable, easy-to-read, non-air-integrated dive computer with an intuitive interface, a gauge mode, and a user-replaceable battery. Most dive gear manufacturers have models in their computer line which match this feature list. Get a separate, tried-and-true Suunto SK-7 compass and a brass-and-glass analog SPG. This setup will serve you well for many years to come.

Personally, I don't regard a dive computer as a "life support" device. It's a piece of gear that gives me depth and dive time information as well as calculates NDLs for me. Since I always dive with a buddy, I can very easily do cross-checks to validate that my computer is displaying reasonable numbers for a given dive. FWIW, I could just as easily get along with a waterproof watch, an analog depth gauge, and dive tables. Nevertheless, divers who do multi-level, multi-day, repetitive dive profiles can benefit substantially (with respect to NDLs) from using a dive computer over tables.
Thanks!!! :)

I guess, my question is: For all those that seem to dislike air integrated, is it because it is hoseless, or all around you just dislike it?

To clarify my previous statements, in my mind, there is a big difference between "forgetting to check your air" and wanting an easier way to check on remaining air. In my opinion, well-trained divers do not forget to check their remaining gas supply. It just doesn't happen. Always having an idea of remaining gas supply should be a point emphasized in basic OW class.

Air-integrated (AI) computers come in designs that feature a hoseless/"wireless" design and those that rely on a hose ("wired") connection. The first generation hoseless AI computers had problems with losing the paired wireless signal to the transmitter. This is obviously a problem on a dive if you can't figure out how much air you have left. Some divers have also reported an interruption of the wireless signal due to the firing of nearby UW camera strobe lights. The hosed/wired AI computers seem to be more reliable. One should pay attention to whether the computer is displaying remaining bottom time due to gas limitations or NDLs (nitrogen exposure). Typically, AI computers will present the lesser of the two numbers.

I suppose that I'd feel differently about AI (wired or wireless) computers if they were much cheaper - with only a slight additional cost over the combined cost of a non-AI computer + analog SPG. That's usually not the case, though. One usually pays a premium of $100 - $200 for wired AI and significantly more than that for wireless AI functionality.

Hi again!!

I just finished my Open Water Certification with my fiance, it was AMAZING! We can't wait to go out again, but unfortunately the cost of renting is going to add up REALLY fast when both of us are renting, so we decided to go ahead and start researching what we would want so we can save up. I personally thought I would want the Suunto D9, but alas it is really expensive and I think a little overkill for me.

What I like about it:
~Wrist Mounted (I hate having it on my BCD, it's too hard to find and look at...)
~Air Integrated (Hoseless)
~Compass
~Nitrox Compatible
~Temp, etc is displayed as well
~Can be worn as a normal everyday watch

With that being said, there is a lot more to this one than I really feel I need, so I was wondering if there are any lower end (price wise) that fit what I am looking for, preferably associated with Aqualung, because that's what is available around here.

Thanks so much for all the help I have already received and hope to continue to receive! :wink:

The dive community is awesome!! :D

It might not be the answer you are hoping for, but I would strongly resist the urge to spend big bucks on a dive computer untill you get all you other gear sorted (if renting is costly with just your OW I asume you are still renting most of it).

I am still sticking to a cheap digital depth timer till I recover from purchases like a good primary light, drysuit, regulators, bc etc...

Start out with basics like a good mask, fins, exposure suit. Then consider regulators, gauges and a bc.
Also don't underestimate the joy from a good quality light. Add all those costs up and see if there is any money left for an air integrated DC.

There is no point in having an air integrated top of the line DC if you are still renting regulators....

If you decide to go the AI way, my advice would be get the uwatec luna. The AI seems to have far less issues, the compass actually works and batteries are user replaceable for both transmitter and DC.

I guess, my question is: For all those that seem to dislike air integrated, is it because it is hoseless, or all around you just dislike it?

Generally they dislike it just because. They can name a variety of reasons but in the end they don't like it just because.

You can get air integrated hosed dive computers too, if loss of signal is a big concern.

The point is this: you want a hoseless air integrated computer? Get one. It's that simple. It's your money and nobody else's. If these newfangled thingiemajigs are that dangerous then you'd see reports of divers dying because of them.

BTW, if your air integrated computer were to fail, you simply surface. The volume of air in your tank is the same regardless of SPG or air integrated computer. If your rock bottom PSI is 1000 and you noticed that you've gone down to 700, then you're screwed (or about to be screwed) regardless of SPG or dive computer.

So, in the end, the equipment doesn't do squat for you if you have bad dive technique. Computers are there to make things more convenience for you and not to do the thinking for you. Also, remember that computers are not necessary at all. People have been diving for decades with nothing but tables, depth gauge and a timing device (and SPG, of course). So I find it hilarious for people to spend money on dive computers and then take the righteous road mocking those who spend a little extra for air integration feature.

Personally, I like the idea, but dislike the cost.
  • Vyper and two SPGs (one for single rig, one for doubles): about $460
  • Vyper Air and two transmitters: about $1200
Just not worth it for me. But it's your money.

(I wasn't too impressed by the first generation and their synchronization/reliability problems either, but I haven't played with most recent models.)

The extra cost of air integrated consoles isn't too bad - but then I don't like consoles.

It's super exciting to be consider new gear, isn't it?!

Are you stuck on Suunto? If so, are you sure of your reasons why?

Sunnto is known to be ultra conservative; a common complaint is that it requires deco stops when others are within NDL (non-decompression limits).

The Oceanics are considered rather aggressive, according to heresay on this board.

The ScubaPro Uwatecs are middle of the road, as far as I know.

Is it worth the extra money to go air integrated? Are you going to trust your life to a computer's air integrated, or will you keep your mechanical SPG (submersible pressure gauge)?

Shopping around, reading all the threads on this board and in this particular thread, might widen your perspective.

Happy shopping! :)

I'm with Jax. I would suggest not getting air integrated, you can get some excellent, well made, accurate SPG's from someone like Hogg dealers, and get a good, nitrox capable computer that work really well.

For the record, I dive air integrated, but have had some many issues over the years, I also have an SPG.

Personally, I would go a wrist puck, air and nitrox combined, NOT air integrated and never buy a computer from ebay but from an LDS so when it goes dirt up you have a face to talk to.

I agree...almost. I would go with a nitrox capable wrist puck NOT air integrated worn on the right wrist. I dive with this set-up with a small SPG clipped off to a D-ring on my left side. That covers what you need for normal rec diving without using a console. When I dive where a compass is indicated, it goes on my left wrist. The set-up is streamlined. I agree that it is a bad idea to buy a dive computer on eBay, but I have no qualms about buying one from ScubaToys online. That particular can of worms goes with the rest of your gear purchases about which there are many threads here on SB.

Let me start by saying thank you to everyone that has taken the time to reply! I just want to quote this one to explain my reasoning.

It might not be the answer you are hoping for, but I would strongly resist the urge to spend big bucks on a dive computer untill you get all you other gear sorted (if renting is costly with just your OW I asume you are still renting most of it).
I was just looking around trying to see how much we would have to save up for our favorite options. I personally own my mask, fins, snorkel, weight, and wetsuit. My next purchase will most likely be my BCD. I was thinking if I wanted a wireless air integrated computer, it would probably be in my best interest to purchase it at the same time as my reg and alternate. For the most part, in my early dives I really only plan to dive in the springs around here, so not much lighting is needed, except at a few places, so I would get my reg/alternate/computer before a light and other accessories.

I am still sticking to a cheap digital depth timer till I recover from purchases like a good primary light, drysuit, regulators, bc etc...

Start out with basics like a good mask, fins, exposure suit. Then consider regulators, gauges and a bc.
Also don't underestimate the joy from a good quality light. Add all those costs up and see if there is any money left for an air integrated DC.

There is no point in having an air integrated top of the line DC if you are still renting regulators....

If you decide to go the AI way, my advice would be get the uwatec luna. The AI seems to have far less issues, the compass actually works and batteries are user replaceable for both transmitter and DC.

Once again, thank you to all those that have replied!! :D I really do love this board! :D

Back
Top Bottom