help drysuit hose came undone during dive

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello fellow divers i recently was diving with my drysuit and the inflator hose diconnected from the suit i think my dive buddy dint attach it all the way i imeadtily plugged it back in and the valve and hose still worked on the suit im just worried that water could have gotten in to the first stage regulator. the hose didnt have eny air coming from it and like i said every thing still worked. Please help me i am freaking out

No worries. The air pressure would push any water into the valve on the suit. As long as the hose stayed pressurized, there is no way for water to get to the first stage.

Just a suggestion but you should always test your inflator before diving, just like you test your regulators.

Hello fellow divers i recently was diving with my drysuit and the inflator hose diconnected from the suit i think my dive buddy dint attach it all the way i imeadtily plugged it back in and the valve and hose still worked on the suit im just worried that water could have gotten in to the first stage regulator. the hose didnt have eny air coming from it and like i said every thing still worked. Please help me i am freaking out

Take a breath, you are fine. There is a valve in the connector that keeps the air from free flowing out, and that is if there is no air in it. You have about 130 psi keeping water from going up the hose and getting in the first stage. You are totally ok.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

No problem, this is actually a skill that should be practiced every once in a while. The only thing you may want to do is to flush out the suit inflator with fresh water if you had it disconnected in salt water. I use a tool similar to this https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1301

i recently was diving with my drysuit and the inflator hose diconnected from the suit i think my dive buddy dint attach it all the way
Dare I ask why your buddy was connecting this for you, instead of you doing it? :)
im just worried that water could have gotten in to the first stage regulator.
As others have said, quite unlikely. Once disconnected, the hose is essentially closed, You would need ambient water pressure equal to / above the IP (~135 psi) to force water into the hose and therefore the first stage, and you would need to be at ~10 ATA (300 ft) to get close to that that, which I presume was not the case.

Dare I ask why your buddy was connecting this for you, instead of you doing it?

I don't believe that was a part of his question. Lets just answer the question. We always seem to lose track of the original questions and focus on other things not covered in the OP.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

No problem, this is actually a skill that should be practiced every once in a while.

I typically do get to practice it when I get down to 20 ft, feel the squeeze & discover that I forgot to conenct it in the first place. :D

I typically do get to practice it when I get down to 20 ft, feel the squeeze & discover that I forgot to conenct it in the first place. :D

Heh, been there done that. One of the tech divers showed me something the other day. He puts his hose between his shoulder strap and his body. If he is disconnected the doesn't have to look too far to find it. Purposely putting it there helps me remember the connection. Of course forgetting and getting your boys squeezed has a way of making you remember as well. Gack!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

The best trick I was taught is you put your inflator hose inside your left harness, then connect it to your drysuit. Now put your left arm thu your harness with the hose under your arm, following up with the right arm into the right harness strap. Not only is it harder to forget the hose, since it is the first thing you did, but you are not struggling to find it, nor are you struggling to insert it under the webbing, and connecting it. Often I already have my dry gloves on so I find it much easier to do it that way. Of course the pre-dive check tests the drysuit inflator, along with the BC inflator, regs, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom