Help choosing new "kit", P&S higher end

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What strobe did you guys use ?

I used to use a single SEA & SEA YS-01 strobe with an optical cable. I just upgraded to two Ikelite DS-160.(mostly use one to create shadow effects)

Dont like the TTL, i only use the strobes manually. (waste of a lot of $$$ :) )

To say the S95 is 4 generations behind is stretching things a bit. Canon puts out a new model every year whether they change anything or not. Realistically, they are 1 generation apart. If you shop carefully, you can put together an S95 and housing for less than $250. If you go with the S110, you're looking at closer to $500. Main difference between the two is S95: 10MP CCD, 28mm wide and S110: 12MP CMOS, 24mm wide.

Almost: the S95 a d the S120 are two generations apart not four

Canon S95 DIGIC IV processor CCD sensor 10MP
Canon S100/S110 DIGIC V processor CMOS sensor 12MP
Canon S120 DIGIC VI processor CMOS sensor 12MP

The new S120 has considerable more resolution than the S95 however all 24mm cameras suffer from increased shutter lag and horrible flash recycle time that has gone from 6 seconds of the S95 to the current 7.5 seconds of the S120 at full power

The 24mm wide are not useful underwater and with most lenses you need to step zoom to 28mm let alone the fact there is terrible pincushion distortion at 24mm

The canon G series are a good choice for macro but limited at wide and both canon are pretty poor at video if that matters

Other good all round compacts are the Olympus XZ-1/2 (poor at video though) and the Panasonic LX7 (fabulous ergonomics and video no fisheye options)

This is my Lembeh gallery with lx7 and sea and sea YS-01 (I got rid of it since and only shoot Inon Z240)

Lembeh 2013 - a set on Flickr

---------- Post added March 3rd, 2014 at 10:43 PM ----------

Also contrary to what the other poster says TTL is very useful especially for macro and close shots almost all my Lembeh shots are TTL

Also contrary to what the other poster says TTL is very useful especially for macro and close shots almost all my Lembeh shots are TTL

Never said it couldnt be usefull. I just said I dont like it :)

Thanks for the tips! Didn't realise the S100 and S110 were more of the same.

Any love for the Olympus m43 format (E-Pl5 notably) ? I'm set on selling my SLR to afford this guy.

As for Strobe, I'm looking at the Inon S2000, any experiences with this one ?

I shoot a lot of video and for me is important not to be stuck with the same lens for one dive. I think if you focus on macro the micro 4-3 are excellent and the pairing with the inon s2000 gives you a great TTL combination at fabulous price. Whatever you choose make sure you consider camera and strobe as a combination and not in isolation based on what deal you can get

Well after playing with the Olympus E-Pl5 for a little while I decided it was meant to be :) Grabbed it with the kit lens as well as the very cheap albeit capable 40-150 for topside stuff. I'm now down to check for deals on the 60mm macro and the housing. Very little variations on these 2, fairly stable prices and no second hand offers.

I'm set on either an Inon S2000 or a Sea & Sea YS-01 with optical cable and proper handles,tray etc.... that's a bit more difficult to shop for.

To say the S95 is 4 generations behind is stretching things a bit.

95-100-110-120 Maybe 3 generations, depending on how you count, but definitely more than 1.

95-100-110-120 Maybe 3 generations, depending on how you count, but definitely more than 1.

I covered this topic earlier there is a 2 generations gap, the S100 and S110 are pretty much identical
S95 DIGIC IV (last powershot with CCD sensor)
S100/S110 DIGIC V
S120 DIGIC VI

I was just about to list my E-PL5 Set-up in the Classifieds sections when I read your post. It is a great Camera, with the Olympus housing a pretty economical set-up too! I will PM you, but if you are interested let me know and I can send all the details you want!

Back
Top Bottom