Help choosing new "kit", P&S higher end

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

astralmind

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well I've been diving with my trusty yet inexpensive Canon Sx240 in its Canon case quite a few times and have been very statisfied with the results.

As we are now planning our trip in Lembeh for this summer, my wife decided she wouldn't dive without a camera! I'm now thinking of passing my current setup to her and getting myself a nicer setup.

I wouldn't mind looking for 2nd hand or older models at a discount if it could let me grab something better. So far the Sony RX100 with the Ikelite case seems like a popular option but I was wondering what else I could be hunting on the classifieds or ebay. Older Olympus PEN maybe.. or older Sony NEX ? Ideally I'd love to find a kit with an entry level strobe but I haven't seen many surfacing.

Thanks for the help

I dive with a Sony S95 I am happy with.

Just a different thought tho. If you are happy with the camera you have been using. Why not consider getting a second the same with Iklite housing or another housing that you can fit attachments to? That way you are both familiar with the camera and if you have a flood or problem with one you can fit the other in either housing. I bought the Canon housing for the S95 then got the Iklite so I could attach wetlenses. I then decided to buy a second S95 on ebay for the original housing. Now I have a spare....

I would not recommend the RX100 for your first trip to Lembeh. There is a lot of very small stuff that would be prove troublesome with the RX100 without close up lenses and a strobe.
How much you want to spend is the question. I would look at a canon s series maybe a non current one with an Inon D2000

Yes I had decent results there with the S95 and wetlense

Any thoughts on older 4/3 Nex5 or pen 3?

The s95 is a great camera but I have a hard time paying that much for a model that is 4 generations behind... That must be the geek in me talking ;-)

what about a G11?(or 12,) Love the camera and you find them pretty cheap now. I just bought my 3rd for only $160 second hand on amazon. Check my facebook or website for pictures taking with the g11.

Beautiful shots, both of you, wow! :) Amazing use of lighting on some of those. What strobe did you guys use ? I need to read on "how to" techniques...

If you ever want to flip through mine (more like fish ID than actual good pictures, a few are decent I guess):

http://astralmind.smugmug.com/Travel/Roatan-August-2013/ (second trip)

Roatan 2 - Astralmind (first 2 weeks of diving :) )

I'm usually a Canon guy (my dSLR and lenses are all Canon) but I'm very much tempted by the Olympus E-PL5 setup, considering getting rid of my SLR to finance the m43 option that would be very nice UW. Now... to find a good deal/bundle.. fun times!

To say the S95 is 4 generations behind is stretching things a bit. Canon puts out a new model every year whether they change anything or not. Realistically, they are 1 generation apart. If you shop carefully, you can put together an S95 and housing for less than $250. If you go with the S110, you're looking at closer to $500. Main difference between the two is S95: 10MP CCD, 28mm wide and S110: 12MP CMOS, 24mm wide.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom