Help, before I start cutting!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

debajo agua

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

While towing my dive flag, my reel line is constantly is getting wrapped around the outside of the spool. Before I can untangle it, I have to play with it a few minutes and it's getting annoying. Since the spool is so full line, I've considered cutting off 20' or so of line off, in the hopes that the line will unreel easier, without slipping to the side of the spool, and wrapping around the spool bracket. Do you think it will help? This is my first reel, so is this a common problem with reels?

TIA

And the answer is - it depends :) If you have an over full reel (line above the reel edges), this could be the cause. But more likely, the issue is that you are not keeping the line tight. A "loose" reel (depending on the type) may cause line to float over the edge of the reel and create the tangle. Some reels are more prone to this than others (open vs closed). If you keep the line snug with no excess play, then this will not be a problem. If you find that your line gets tangled in your fins, then it is loose and a tangle is more likely.

I went ahead and cut some off... I'll let you know how it works out for me.

every reel I have ever purchased, I have cut some line off to make it easier to manage.

Don't throw away the used line, it is great for tying bolt snaps to equipment!

Nimoh is right about saving it. Many uses (if it is cave line - if it is some of the thin line that is sold for the plastic winding reels, I don't bother). As far as cutting it off, I only do this if the reels max length depth is beyond what I regularly dive. Nothing more frustrating than a reel that doesn't get you to the wreck or dive objective :).

After cutting off some line yesterday, I tested it out today, and I'm happy to report not one entanglement incident. Too bad I didn't get to your replies earlier though, the excess line is in the trash and I'm not going through the trouble of digging it out. Thanks all for replying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom