Hello, I'm new! - Daughter has Asthma

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dmz143

New
Reaction score
Hi,

I wanted to ask several questions regarding scuba diving.

My daughter is showing an interest in Marine Biology/Oceanography we're studing this year, and I want to encourage her to continue studing in this area.
Scuba diving seems like a neat thing to do to bring what she's reading into reality.

Question- She's asthmatic. Does anyone who is experinced in diving have asthma?
Are there any limitations you've face having asthma while diving?

Are the requirements different for a teenager getting their certification than from an adult?

If you haven't ever got the breathing together for snorkling what are the chances of getting it with the respirator you use for scuba diving?

These are my initial questions I'm sure I'll have others as we pursue this line of thought.

Thanks for you time,
Dmz

First of all welcome to the board, you have come to the right place for answers...

dmz143:
Hi,

My daughter is showing an interest in Marine Biology/Oceanography we're studing this year, and I want to encourage her to continue studing in this area.
Scuba diving seems like a neat thing to do to bring what she's reading into reality.

Dmz

Diving is a great way to study marine bio and oceanography, almost essential in fact.

dmz143:
Hi,

Yes, this could definately be a problem even though the industry is taking a far more individual, case by case stance with asthmatics and diving. Basically in an asthmatic, even if the diver is not breatholding, while ascending, restricted broncioles due to spasm or thick mucus could bloce airflow and force air into the bloodstream. this is called AGE (arterial gas embolism) and basically results in a stroke.

Your daughter needs informed advice from a doctor familiar with diving medicine.

dmz143:
Hi,

Are the requirements different for a teenager getting their certification than from an adult?

No difference, the course is the same, but if the diver is less than 15 yo, there may be some restrictions to who she can dive with.

Hope that helps...

dmz143:
Hi,

I'd say that would be a logical approach, and possibley a very enjoyable one.
That's certainly a serious issue to explore, and we do have a wealth of resoruces. You might start by using our Serach feautre and see recent discussions on this. Some dives do okay with their astyhma, but it's not to be taken lightly.
There are some age restriction, but we have many Teen divers. The asthma things is the bigger one.
If you haven't ever got the breathing together for snorkling what are the chances of getting it with the respirator you use for scuba diving?
Are we talking about your daughter here? Snorkeling is great practice for learning to breath comfortably thru a mouthpiece, wear a mask, get your face wet, etc. Some don't freel comfortable with it at first. Have you spoken with a local Instructor yet, or her physician?

Additiona questions along this line would probably be better answered in the Dive Medicine forum, and - I'll see about getting this thread moved there.

good luck! PM me if I can help!

don

NAUI considers asthma an absolute contraindication (no dice). A friend of mine went PADI with his daughter who has very bad asthma-they asked for a Dr's clearance, which he refused to give. So, you may have options, but it will depend on 1. What agency 2. Will a Dr clear her.

I don't think any agency or instructor will teach some one with known asthma without a doctor's clearance. Make sure you talk to a doctor who has knowledge of diving medicine AND of asthma as there is a lot to know in these specific areas and not all family practioners will be up on the latest information.

I have several friends who have asthma, but who do not and have not used inhalers for over ten years. They dive, but have check-ups every year and follow pretty strict, self-imposed guidelines.

You'll definitely need professional help with the asthma aspect.

One of the things that you and your daughter should talk to your doctor about is the causes of her asthma. Asthma can be brought on be a number of factors: exercise, pollens, dust, allergies, cold weather, etc, etc. Also, frequency of attacks and preventative strategies. The days of kids not being allowed to be physically active due to asthma are long gone.

So, it doesn't necessarily need to stop her diving. Good and informed (diving AND asthma) medical advice is essential though.

dmz143:
Hi,

These are my initial questions I'm sure I'll have others as we pursue this line of thought.

Thanks for you time,
Dmz

The following is an updated piece on asthma & diving that originally appeared in my Dec '00 "Dive Workshop" column in "Rodale's Scuba Diving:"

"Can I Dive With Asthma?

Asthma is a chronic but often largely controllable obstructive pulmonary disease that affects about eight to 10 percent of children and five to eight percent of adults in the U.S. Signs and symptoms include shortness of breath, wheezing, tightness in the chest and lasting cough. The potential adverse impact of a severe attack under water is obvious, and could be fatal. Arterial gas embolism (AGE) as a result of air trapping from the constriction and plugging characteristic of this disease has also been a frequent, but as yet inconclusive, concern.

Asthma Triggers

Asthma is a chronic irritation & hypersensitivity of the respiratory tract, and attacks can be triggered as a reaction to a variety of conditions including stress, cold or exercise, or allergens such as pollen and certain foods and medications. The asthmatic?s body reacts to these triggers, in varying order and severity, by constriction of smooth muscle in the bronchi and bronchioles, inflammation of the airway and increased mucous production. Attacks tend to be recurrent rather than continuous, and there is often much that can be done medically to reverse breathing difficulties when they do occur. In addition, since many of the precipitants of an attack are known, they can be avoided or controlled.

Diving with Asthma

Until the mid-1990s, asthma was largely considered an absolute contraindication to diving. However, thinking in the medical and professional dive community has rather radically altered since then, and those with asthma can now be certified under certain circumstances. Although they differ somewhat, the YMCA, BASC and Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine Society each offer protocols guiding medical clearance to dive.

For example, the YMCA criteria include a requirement that all asthmatics have normal resting and exercise pulmonary function tests with no degradation after exercise. The criteria allow those taking routine preventative medications to be evaluated while continuing their treatment. Also required is the ability to exercise and tolerate stress without becoming symptomatic while on maintenance medications, and the absence of a need for ?rescue? inhalers during times of stress or exertion.

If you suffer from asthma, it?s clearly unwise to deny or minimize this condition to yourself, or hide it from your instructor or the operators with whom you dive. Scuba can involve some of the asthma triggers discussed above, such as cold and exercise, not mention hyperdry scuba cylinder gas. If you have asthma and want to dive, or are already diving without medical clearance, it is critical that you consult a physician to obtain an appropriate pulmonary workup and permission to dive."

If you're interested in pursuing this, here is the YMCA Asthma Protocol along with a contact for Dr. Duke Scott, the YSCUBA Medical Advisor who oversees the project----> http://www.ymcascuba.org/ymcascub/asthmatc.html. He's a very nice & capable chap who is more than willing to answer questions.

This is educational only and does not constitute or imply a doctor-patient relationship. It is not medical advice to you or any other individual, and should not be construed as such.

Hope you found this helpful.

DocVikingo

Thanks for this post, it's provided me with valuable reading and links to even further reading.

Tom

DMZ143,
Please post a new hello in the Introductions
and greetings forum, so that you can get a
proper ScubaBoard Greeting.

Tom

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom