Hello from western Kentucky.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott C.

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for a dive partner/mentor in Louisville/Elizabethtown area.
Since there isn't many major dive spots around. I'd like info on streams, ponds, small hidden quarries. Anything closer than driving to tenn border.
I live by Salt river. But don't know anything about it.
Don't care about depth. More interested in watching the environment.

Welcome to SB from your northern neighbor. Wish I could help you. Closest KY waters I've been in was swimming between boats in the Ohio River during the Madison Regatta, probably after a few drinks.

There are some quarries/springs in IN a few hours N from Louisville. I can't recommend any as my diving is pretty much during travel to warmer waters. Pennyroyal Blue Springs in Hopkinsville, KY popped up in a southern IN diving group also. Good luck and be sure to share if you find some diving spots - it may be helpful to others.

There’s Mermet Springs in far southern IL, too.

Looking for spots other than public commercialized ones that pop up on Google.
Something that doesn't take future planning, a full day, or a weekend.
4ft or so of depth would be fine, with some wildlife to explore.

Looking for a dive partner/mentor in Louisville/Elizabethtown area.
Since there isn't many major dive spots around. I'd like info on streams, ponds, small hidden quarries. Anything closer than driving to tenn border.
I live by Salt river. But don't know anything about it.
Don't care about depth. More interested in watching the environment.
Hey Scott, I live across the river over in New Albany. I haven't dove any of the local rivers and lakes...I largely just dive Mermet, and Pennyroyal in this area. There's a quarry in la grange called Falling Rock Park. The visibility is terrible, and it's largely full of urine. The new management is also not overly friendly to divers. Personally I would avoid the Ohio river, as it's dirty as hell (catch something you dont want), and visibility is ****, but have never tried any of the other stuff. If you want to head out to one of these lakes and give it a look some time, let me know, and I would be happy to see about joining you so you have a dive buddy.

The only concern with diving bodies of water, is finding out who owns it and if you're allowed. I know that a lot of the bodies of water in the area are privately owned, and diving is not allowed

My weekends are pretty much trash here of late, but I can be free most Mondays / Tuesdays and Thursdays if you're interested in a dive buddy.

I don't know your experience level, but I got I think like 150 dives and am advanced certified. Feel free to DM me for my contact information if you're interested.

Any info on diving in Taylorville lake? That's the largest deepest spot near me.​
I just called out to taylorsville lake, they said you're not allowed to scuba dive in it. The only one they are aware of that you can in the area, is Greenbo Lake. I called out to them, and they have a small area that you can dive in, but you have to remain in that area. They didn't have any other details other than it goes back to where the old beach used to be in "her day". She also said that there's no swimming allowed in the lake due to geese feeces contaminating the lake...so I mean, you might want to consider that as well...go to clear your mask and get some goose poop in your eye...

I just called out to taylorsville lake, they said you're not allowed to scuba dive in it. The only one they are aware of that you can in the area, is Greenbo Lake. I called out to them, and they have a small area that you can dive in, but you have to remain in that area. They didn't have any other details other than it goes back to where the old beach used to be in "her day". She also said that there's no swimming allowed in the lake due to geese feeces contaminating the lake...so I mean, you might want to consider that as well...go to clear your mask and get some goose poop in your eye...
based on a quick search of the core of engineers website though (I feel they are usually more ok with diving in their lakes): scuba - Louisville District Search Results

it looks like you can dive at your own risk in...

Carr Creek Lake
Barren River Lake
and Green River Lake

Back
Top Bottom