Hello From Tulsa! 3rd dive = Decompression Camber

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

there's a quote from george harrison hanging on the wall in my office:
WITH EVERY MISTAKE WE MUST SURELY BE LEARNING
i think Matt has shown a willingness to do this, and i will say BRAVO.
regarding computers from ebay vs. your local dive shop: can you return a computer to ebay if it's not in working condition? will ebay provide technical assistance and even training in the use of your computer? can you go and handle, run demos, compare different models on ebay? do you get a warranty registration card if you buy your computer through them? how do you know the computer you buy on ebay isn't stolen from some other diver, or isn't grey-market? i believe the answers to all these questions would be in the negative. hardly worth the trade for a savings of some few dollars.
support your local dive shop!
ADY

Ain'tDeadYet:
..snip..
regarding computers from ebay vs. your local dive shop: can you return a computer to ebay if it's not in working condition? will ebay provide technical assistance and even training in the use of your computer? can you go and handle, run demos, compare different models on ebay? do you get a warranty registration card if you buy your computer through them? how do you know the computer you buy on ebay isn't stolen from some other diver, or isn't grey-market? i believe the answers to all these questions would be in the negative. hardly worth the trade for a savings of some few dollars.
support your local dive shop!
ADY

I don't really want to go too deep into LDS purchasing compared to other channels because this has been flogged to death in other recent threads.
The point I wanted to make is that ebay (or similar) can be a good way for new divers to be able to afford expensive equipment before they have become committed to what can be a fairly expensive hobby.
My family has 3 dive computers, 2 of them bought off Internet auctions and in regular monthly use for the last 3 - 4 years without any problem whatsoever.
As for returning them if they don't work, I'd say, "Yes". The most common system where I am has a good scoring/reputation system, I've bought many items and I have asked for my money back when I think I received something different from that described. Again, never had a problem.
As for "go & handle" & "run demos". The best source of info is other divers and SB. As has been commented many times on SB, too many LDSs will have a limited selection and will push what they have.
Grey-market, who cares if I'm paying 1/3 of the regular new price. A lot more than a few dollars.
Stolen, that's more difficult than many people think. The market is limited and just talking to the seller after the deal, most times we have common acquaintances. It's quite easy to determine if the sale is legitimate or not just chatting. In addition I always check to see what else the seller is pushing.

ShoalDiverSA:
When I did my PADI OW course many moons ago, one item in the training was very clear - you are only trained for the conditions in which you were certified.

A recent story I heard from Monterey really drives this home. I don't have first hand knowledge but believe this story to be true. Apparently an Instructor who had done all of her previous diving in warm, clear water went to Pt. Lobos. No one is sure exactly what happened but it appears that she was caught in kelp and probably panicked. Unfortunately, she died. If the story is true as I hear it, it is a good example of someone who was trained but not for the conditions she encountered.

Gasgirl, I understood what you were saying and took your comments as you intended. I hope you didn't feel I was criticizing your points. I was just trying to emphasize that point for others and apologize if I didn't do it artfully. Too many people (pick one) get on a boat, pay for a vacation, arrive at a dive site and because they have paid the money or spent the time to get there decide to dive even though the conditions might suggest otherwise. Just trying to drive the point home and I didn't disagree with what you said at all. :D

This is has been an excellent thread with a lot of good comments. Thanks, Matt for posting your experience and thank you to those of you who participated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom