Hello from Tampa Bay!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TpaDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
After spending much time reading various threads on here and learning from the experiences shared that I finally decided to sign up so I can join in on the conversations.

I am in the Tampa Bay area, more specifically northern Pinellas. After wanting to be Scuba Certified for most of my life I decided to finally get it done. Not sure where it will lead me down the road, but figured OW is where I should start.

I have visited several LDS in my area and two really stood out. One is PADI and one is SSI. Based on my research they are very similar, to the point that it boils down to instructor.
But is there anything beyond the OW certification class that one may do better? (Does SSI allow continued access to online learning material vs PADI that cuts off after a while?, Does SSI have a better dive log system via their app?) Things like that are how I am trying to pick between the two since I am very impressed with both shops and staff. I know in the end it will not matter, especially since I see there is little problem cross learning specialties. (SSI for OW/Nitrox, PADI for AOW) But not sure if I should stick to one agency vs spreading the learning.
Appreciate any input.

Welcome to ScubaBoard TpaDiver. Keep us posted on your progress. Do your OW then slowly advance. There is no rush in getting advanced degrees. The fish will still smile at you; they don't care if you are a PADI OW diver or a NAUI Master Scuba Diver or a GUE Tech 2 diver. Enjoy your time underwater.

howdy and welcome from your southeast florida neighbor....you have the whole state of florida to enjoy underwater.

Back
Top Bottom