Hello from San Diego

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

michellej

Registered
Reaction score
Hi,
My boyfriend and I are planning a trip to Belize in May. Any recommendations on accommodations and/or dive operators. Ideally, we'd like a reasonably priced package. We like to dive in the mornings and then chill or explore in the afternoons.
Been to Cozumel a few times and love it but looking for a new adventure.
Any feedback would be greatly appreciated
Mahalo,
Michelle

Welcome to SB, Michelle.

Most of my diving in Belize was on board a ship I was working on. However, afterwards I stayed on Caye Caulker for about a week and dove with Belize Diving Services. The winds were howling (it was March) so we never got outside the Reef. Good to avoid both hurricane season and the spring winds.

High winds are pretty unlikely in May, though with current climate change anything could happen!

You might want to consider a visit to the south of the country (Placencia or Hopkins), especially if your visit coincides with full moon, as May full moon is generally regarded as the best time to see whale sharks, and that's the area to be. Lots of cheap accommodation in Placencia, some in Hopkins. Hamanasi resort in Hopkins (certainly not bargain basement) runs trips to the whale sharks that have a very high "hit rate" - you can probably get on these even if you're not staying with them.

Otherwise, if you want to come north to Ambergris Caye we'll be happy to take you diving! And to suggest good value hotels. Caye Caulker is generally cheaper than Ambergris Caye and in particular is cheaper for visits to the Blue Hole, but there is good value to be found on AC as well.

Welcome to the 'board! Sorry, can't help with vacation plans but gladly point the way to your "not so warm" So.Cal. family...
So.Cal.Forum
During your S.I. time check out the fun we have locally.

I missed the fact you are going in May, I had March on my mind. You should escape the "fun" weather we had (although there was plenty of great weather and plenty of great diving Jan-Mar).

Thanks Peter,
I heard you were a great dive operator. I was actually starting to think about the Hopkins area just in case the weather is not so good, we can go into the jungle. But I also have AC on my mind because I'm afraid that Caye Caulker might be almost too quiet for me. We're not big into the all-inclusive thing because we like to explore local restaurants, etc. So, what would your recommendations be for moderate to better accommodations on AC if we decide on that?
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom