Hello, Brand new

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

evonder

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello just started yesterday with my Discover SCUBA class, loved it. I am going threw SSI and I have a couple gear related questions. I am a bigger guy and require a 2x BCD I would like to get my own so I will avoid having issues with rental gear fitting. My question is are there any good inexpensive BCD out there for under 300? and is it a good or bad idea to order fins/snorkle mask etc via internet to save cash? my dive shop told me to stay away from internet ordering ( I think that is because they want to make money and i understand that) I know this is not a cheap sport to be in but need to be as frugal as possible.

thank you

Welcome evonder

You get what you pay for when it comes to scuba gear. However if you know what to look around you can get a deal on used equipment. Check out the classified section on this board or ebay.

I would have no issues buying mask, fins online as long as you know what fits you etc.. Just don't be the guy who goes to the dive shop trying on their gear and using their time then buying it online, they will notice and not be impressed.

Hope you enjoy the sport.

thanks. I would never go to a shop try there stuff on and buy elsewhere especially if it is my dive shop. i have several friends who dive and i will probably look at there things as far as size and fit.. I saw a Sea Elite Scout BCD online for 199. and wasnt sure if it would be worth it or just save the money and purchase one at the shop for twice/three times that

Also, see if they will match (or come close to the price) if you buy a package (not a full package but a basic "personal gear" package). It really helps to build a relationship with your LDS. I do buy the occassional bit of gear online, but most of my stuff I purchase through my local shop/shops.
And as for the BC, try a variety of different styles, from jacket style, to back inflate, and bp/w. Get what fits you, not what is cheapest.
Good luck!

gear that requires proper 'fit' isn't necessarily something a brand new diver, who doesn't know what they don't know, should be buying off the WWW. Good condition, used gear is fine, but I suspect you don't yet have much of a clue how to shop for a decent BC yet, and stand an excellent chance of throwing $ away via expensive mistakes. I'd suggest renting from your dive shop for a bit to begin to get an education on operating BC's in the real world (underwater), to discover which design features/layout you like or don't like. There is MUCH about diving you have no idea about, and later on you will look back on today and understand what I mean, once you accumulate some experience. You might have to visit different shops to rent across different brands to be able to test dive a wider variety of units. Once you zero in on something, then you can go buy a cheap used one off E-Bay, or perhaps a cheap used 'rental' unit from your dive shop.

My local shop gets very close to internet prices without asking. You may have to ask your shop to match but I imagine they will. Any shop that won't has a fool running it.

It's worth spending the money locally to ensure your basic gear really fits. When I tried on boots and fins, I ended up with a great fitting set in a size I would never have guessed.

For a BCD I'd recommend you wait and try on a few different brands and sizes to make sure you know what works for you. Then, if you look around a bit, you should be able to find something used with an affordable price. Lots of new divers buy stuff that they quickly flip because it turns out to be not really what they want or need...get me? :eyebrow:

I agree with what has been posted here. You need to be comfortable in your gear to be comfortable under water. One style may fit someone else perfectly, but whey you use it it isn't the best for you. When you buy dive gear, you are buying it to last quite a while, depending upon how much you dive. While you can save some money buying online, you don't know what you are getting always. New gear may or may not have a warranty. Used gear may be a piece of junk or very good. I have seen people buy used gear online that needed service, and then be stuck because there wasn't a LDS close by that carried that equipment to get parts to service it. Remember any used gear needs inspected and serviced before use, unless you are buying rental from a LDS and they have just serviced it. You are talking about your life support equipment and the last place you want to find out your used gear wasn't what you thought it was is under water on a dive. Good luck, look around and do some investigation and you will do well buying your gear.

Lots of good suggestions already. Just a few things to consider for your BC. It is more important to get a good quality BC rather than get less expensive one now only to upgrade later. Might as well save yourself the trouble now and invest in a good quality BC that can grow with you later.

You have to consider what type of diving you will be doing. A travel BC may not have the lift if you dive colder waters with thicker wetsuits. If you get a BC that can accomodate thick wetsuit might not be convenient to travel with since weight and baggage fee considerations.

For my $0.02 I went with a Zeagle Stiletto since is light enough to travel and has enough lift for me with a 7 mm wetsuit with hood and booties. Zeagle has the advantage of mix and match components so you are more likely to get a better more custom fit. My dive instructor likes Zeagle and traded in his Ranger for a Stiletto to travel. Ask your LDS if they can give you a discount to match the online prices.

For mask, fins, snorkel e bay or here SB great to get discount since don't need worry service concerns.

Welcome to Scuba, have fun and dive safe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom