Hello again everybody - Coming down in April and need some information

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ProudPapa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hope all is well in Venice these days, the family and I will be down in Venice for the shark tooth festival in April, and I was hoping I could get in a couple days of shark tooth diving in as well. I was wondering what the water temperature was like in April and what mill wetsuit do you all wear in early April. Also, I will have my wife and four year old son with me, and neither will be diving. So I was wondering if there are any good land areas, not to far out the way, where we could search for shark teeth together. We will be driving down I75 from Ohio and going to Orlando\Disney for two days, then proceeding to Seista Key/Venice area ( not sure will we will be staying yet) for 4 days, and then on to Miami for 2 days. So anything along the way would be great, if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations. Thank you for any help or advice you can pass along.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2013 at 03:11 PM ----------

Reading through the old dive reports, it looks like the water temp at the bottom ranges from 65 to 75 degrees in early April, so I'm guessing 3mm to 5mm wetsuit would be appropriate. Is that about right?

We had great luck just south of there hunting for sharks teeth on the beachs of Englewood/Manisota (sp) keys. They are everywhere along the beach. Just look for little pyramid shapes and that will be a tooth.

We are tentatively planning on diving the area mid april, you are welcome to join us if everything works out.

---------- Post added January 19th, 2013 at 03:11 PM ----------

Reading through the old dive reports, it looks like the water temp at the bottom ranges from 65 to 75 degrees in early April, so I'm guessing 3mm to 5mm wetsuit would be appropriate. Is that about right?[/QUOTE]

Right now the water temp is holding at 69. I've been down here for 20 yrs now so I'm definitely a warm water weanie & have been diving with my 5 mil & hood. You probably would be okay with a 3 mil. We have been having a mild winter so far but one only knows what will happen by April. There is a NOAA station at Sharky's Pier which will give you an update on current conditions. Google NDBC - Station VENF1

Thank you Randy! I will definitly check those beaches out. I will be in the area 4/10 thru 4/14, so if you there at that time, I would love to go diving. Do you dive with a charter, beach dive, or something else?

---------- Post added January 20th, 2013 at 10:03 PM ----------

Thank you dkramer! I have a 3/2 mm suit and 7mm & 7mm farmer john suit, so I will probably pick-up a 5mm suit to be safe. I need a good intermediate suit between the two.

Beach mainly but Capt Jamie, who posted above, is a good charter from what everyone says. We were supposed to do a boat dive with them a few weeks ago but was cancelled due to weather.

We are fairly new to the west side florida diving. Making it out once around XMas the last 2 yrs but the red tide kicked my butt and sent me packing early every time I came near the shoreline this season.

We are still looking for the elusive BIG Meg Tooth. :wink:

Hello, our trip to the Venice area is fast approaching and I had a question regarding the Peace River. On our way to Venice from Orlando, I was planning on stoping by the CanoeOutpost in Arcadia and doing the Oak Hill to Arcadia (Half-Day) canoe trip with the family, and do some fossiling along the way. However, from doing some research, I read April is the being of gator mating season. Since I will have my four year old son with me, I'm wondering if it will be a safe activity to do with him? Would it be better to wade into a shallow area in Wauchula or Arcadia and not do a canoe trip? Or just skip the Peace River all together during this time. Any insight or information would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

There is a NOAA station at Sharky's Pier which will give you an update on current conditions. Google NDBC - Station VENF1

That NOAA station is where I usually get my temp report from, just a heads up it is currently down waiting on repair, but if you use the small map on the same page and select a yellow marker you should be able to get nearby condition reports in the meantime.

As far as the Peace River goes, you are sharing the area with gators, my wife and I regularly dive places in the southeast that have gators in the water, it makes you pay attention when you see one from the boat before you go in but for everyone seen there are X you do not. For us it is an acceptable risk, much like when we swim or dive in the ocean, Atlantic or Gulf we understand that there is a small chance of an encounter with a shark or other dangerous form of wildlife.

I can tell you that for fossil expedition businesses on the Peace River, April is the one of the busiest months due to water levels and spring breakers, so there are a LOT of people in the water that time of year. For my wife and I we aware that they are there and are OK with that, I believe that is a decision everyone needs to make on an individual basis and I can see how you would be concerned as a father.

Everyone has their own opinion, some will say you are crazy to go in the water, some will say there has not been an attack in 30+ years, people view things differently, I personally respect the wildlife and accept the risk that comes with it.

There are gators in the peace, bull sharks in the gulf, but for me I worry more about the bad drivers between my home and one of those destinations.

Have a safe and fun trip and take lots of pictures to show your kid when he gets older.

I have done the canoe trip down the Peace several times. Because of the large amount of traffic on the river, I have seen only a few gators but that does not mean they are not there. I wouldn't have a problem canoeing the river but I certainly would not be swimming in it with a 4 yr. old. Also bear in mind that cottonmouths may also be present. IMHO, if it were my son, he would stay in the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom