Helicopters above Broward Beaches: SHARKS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Marvel - its Hubie from "Get-the-Lead-Out"

As a transplanted notherner, can I ask why the sharks don't create a lot of fear? I am asking because, (coming from the north) I am not use to them and they are out of my element and therefore appear to much "scarier" than maybe to some floridians.

I am considering diving the Ancient Mariner this weekend and may cancell it due ot the sharks. Is that reasonable?

NO.
I am more scared of the drivers on the road getting to the site, and the scorpion fish than I am worried about sharks.

UB:
SNIP... I am considering diving the Ancient Mariner this weekend and may cancell it due ot the sharks. Is that reasonable?
If you are really concerned, of course it's reasonable! I think most of us would go, however. We rarely see anything but lazy nurse sharks here (I've never seen a "real" shark since moving to the Ft. Lauderdale area), and we don't hear a lot about attacks on divers.

We *do* however hear a lot about sharks from non-divers and the media. After a while I think we get jaded and stop worrying about them.

Would I dive within that zoo in the pictures? Not on your life.

My guess is that your dive operator will tell you that the sharks are concentrated along the beaches and rare around the wreck. Why don't you give them a call? Knowing most of the local operators, I'd tend to believe that they'll give you the straight scoop. YMMV, of course!

Hey man a shark is one of gods critters and has to live too ya know. Your not diving this weekend might cause a shark and all her little babies to go hungry and you'd be upsetting the balance of nature. I think you should dive the ancient mariner and if you are meant to be the sustenance that keeps a little shark family happy then that is just fate.. and who are you to tamper with fate?..

UB:
Thanks Eric

I heard a great speech on 1 September 2001 in regards to sharks. The media was full of shark attacks along the East Coast of Florida. Jeff from South Florida Diving HQ was taking us out on a shark feeding on the Nursery (Pompano) while it was still legal... His comment was... Pres Bush was too boring... since Bush is so boring, they have to pick on the sharks... I guess the sharks stopped biting after 11 Sept 2001, because I haven't heard much about shark attacks...

Needless to say... The only diver I know who has been bitten by a shark was the one who saw a cute little nurse shark in the Bahamas, and he grabbed it by the tail. Yes, he realized as soon as he grabbed the shark that it was a dumb move...

Scuba_Dad:
The media was full of shark attacks along the East Coast of Florida. Jeff from South Florida Diving HQ was taking us out on a shark feeding on the Nursery (Pompano) while it was still legal... His comment was... Pres Bush was too boring... since Bush is so boring, they have to pick on the sharks... I guess the sharks stopped biting after 11 Sept 2001, because I haven't heard much about shark attacks...
My sentiments exactly...

The majority of those sharks are Black Tip and not Spinner. They are too big and dispersed to be schooling spinner sharks. I would love to head down there for this! :D

At 6 AM this morning my wife and I were walking along the beach in Deerfield and noticed TV / Satellite trucks near the pier. On our return south we came across an area about the size of a football field where the water was "boiling" about 20 feet offshore. I thought about going home and taking the Whaler out but got some work done instead. Late this afternoon we were diving and heard on the VHF that a dive boat pulled some divers who confronted some sharks baited by a trawling fishing boat just north of the Hillsboro Inlet. Shortly thereafter a FHP helicopter and USCG vessel went by us to the spot. I _thought_ the sharks were supposed to be heading north, but then again I thought they closed the beaches in Delray last week ?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom