Helicopters above Broward Beaches: SHARKS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mrobinson:
What the ?!?!? I was planning to go to Florida in May. Any chance migration is done then for the Bull shark???
From your landlocked scaredy pants - Michelle Robinson Calgary, Alberta
When the tarpon move on, so will the bulls. Its only on the west coast. East is where this other flock of sharks seem to be staying for a while. Go the Keys :wink:

mrobinson:
What the ?!?!? I was planning to go to Florida in May. Any chance migration is done then for the Bull shark???
From your landlocked scaredy pants - Michelle Robinson Calgary, Alberta

Eh, no worries... Tarpon season is only a few weeks long and big area it happens is in Boca Grande Pass and surrounding vicinity. In fact, by May the migrations should all be done for the summer and the creatures that love the hot muggy water will be comfortably at home in their summer residence. Besides, in FL its not the sharks you have to worry about, its the wayward boaters who are clueless on the water!

CBulla is so right about that. It seems the bigger the boat the lower the common sense. In my two years in Florida I have figured out that anyone who has a checkerboard on the side of their boat is a special sort of person who really needs attention.

I would like to point out I was in my 18 ft Palm Beach sharing the same reef this morning with a $300,000 38 ft. Grady White. They pulled up on me making a ton of noise, dropping their electic anchor about seven times, drifting into one of my lines and generally being typical snow birds with too much money.

In about an hour I iced a 26 inch gag and two decent cobia. The got nothing but one small sheepshead.

Seems like a lot of money to spend on a sheepshead. Too funny.

Cbulla:

Are you diving yet?

Matt - sounds like you definitely had the better end of that deal. I'll take a grungy work boat over the big pretty boats that the brainles drive.. 'course thats my whole personality anyway!

Matt - I'll be trying to hit a pool to do a gear and fatboy reweight shake down in the next week or so, then i'll probably hit a few more times to get comfortable with gear over the new scar. 3 weeks is my target for getting in the water again - about 8-12 weeks for spearing maybe. :)

I doubt you will be missing much. The water is a mess right now. I am going to try to dive this Thursday at Edison, but I dont think it will happen.

Cool Sharks. How come we don't see them when we are diving??

Scuba_Jenny:
Cool Sharks. How come we don't see them when we are diving??

Because they usually occupy the upper levels of the water column, and we're usually looking down. At least, if they're spinner sharks. They spend most of their time in deeper water too.

MikeJacobs:
I'm now debating whether to continue snorkeling almost daily out to the balls at 1,500 yards. Though I've never seen a shark here, it does not seem prudent to tempt fate....
I don't know about the sharks, but with the heavy boat traffic around Ft. Lauderdale you wouldn't catch me snorkeling 1500 yards offshore. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom