Helicopters above Broward Beaches: SHARKS!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeJacobs

Reaction score
Over the last week I've seen several helicopters flying low over Lauderdale by the Sea beaches - one we thought was actually ditching. It turns out that migrating sharks have invaded N. Broward beaches: http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...arks,0,1650305.story?coll=sfla-home-headlines

Thankfully, Lauderdale beaches remain open and there have been no injuries.

I'm now debating whether to continue snorkeling almost daily out to the balls at 1,500 yards. Though I've never seen a shark here, it does not seem prudent to tempt fate. OTOH, it's a lot of fun! Last week I counted two moray eels (mid-size with mother-of-pearl coloring), several nurse sharks, and one turtle in addition to all the usual suspects. The water feels much warmer because of the sunshine, and it was so nice on Saturday that each and every mooring bouy was occupied by a boat.

It would probably be safer to take a tank, but there's not a lot of cover if you have to hug the bottom for a while, and if you have to think about a strategy like that then it's not such a good idea to go at all.

Then again...

Why don't you kayak dive it. I might even be tempted to go with a buddy or two with all the sharks, not for safety reasons so much as psychological reasons. I've gone out there alone a couple of times and the beach always looks a lot further away from the balls than the balls look from the beach. Its weird.

I would go *because* of the sharks.
But that's just me.

I smell shark dive!! BTW, the Tarpon migration is going to be happening on this coast real soon -- if its anything like last year we'll have Bulls that are in the neighborhood of 18' hitting the 6' tarpon as they get released from their struggle to the boats.

Are these the spinner sharks again? The comment in the article of "sharp toothed creatures" kind of leaves it open as to what type.

Mike, I find it hard to believe that you have never seen a shark at LBTS. I've been snorkelling twice and saw Nurses both times. Wait, maybe they don't count:wink:

SueMermaid:
I would go *because* of the sharks.
But that's just me.
But did you see the streaming video and slide show? In some you could probably hop across the water from shark to shark. That's a lot of teeth!

What the ?!?!? I was planning to go to Florida in May. Any chance migration is done then for the Bull shark???
From your landlocked scaredy pants - Michelle Robinson Calgary, Alberta

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom