Helicopter turns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lamont:
Guilty!

The other thing about the tank driving metaphor is that if you only do the forwards kick half of the helicopter turn you will act just like a tank with one tread going forwards and the other tread stopped and you'll turn in a circle rather than staying in one place.

This is why you commonly read reports of fundies or tech 1 / cave 1 where the instructor takes the students over a rock or other landmark and tells them to try to spin in place when they do helicopter turns. The problem is going to typically be that the back-kick part of the helicopter turn is weak or they're not doing it at all, so they turn around in a circle rather than spinning in place.

You have to have one tread going forwards and one tread going backwards at the same rate to spin in place.

This is what DATs (Dumb @$$ Tankers- I say it with affection) call a neutral steer.

lamont:
Guilty!

The other thing about the tank driving metaphor is that if you only do the forwards kick half of the helicopter turn you will act just like a tank with one tread going forwards and the other tread stopped and you'll turn in a circle rather than staying in one place.

This is why you commonly read reports of fundies or tech 1 / cave 1 where the instructor takes the students over a rock or other landmark and tells them to try to spin in place when they do helicopter turns. The problem is going to typically be that the back-kick part of the helicopter turn is weak or they're not doing it at all, so they turn around in a circle rather than spinning in place.

You have to have one tread going forwards and one tread going backwards at the same rate to spin in place.
AG used to have us just try it using the backkick stroke, to "train" it to be stronger.

don't mean to hijack, (well maybe a little! :) )
but does anyone know a well detailed based site or post ( with videos would be great ) of the alternative kicks presented in advanced training?
Thanks

I have one at hte house, currently at work, that I've watch and over and over. I'll post it when I get there if no one else has.

Michael

and I will not be posting the link tonight when I get home tonight.

Good link Reefguy.

Michael

When I was practicing Helio-turns ...
I'd put my nose over a rock or some other stationary object and just try to pretend I was using my toes to kick with (very lightly).
After a while , you realise it DOESN'T take much effort at all to start the spin and also stop it.
I'd practice spinning one way 360 degrees clockerwise , stop , and then do a 360 degree contrair-clockerwise! :confused: :D

Easily said , I know.

Jeano Beano
Fort White , Florida

jeandiver:
When I was practicing Helio-turns ...
I'd put my nose over a rock or some other stationary object and just try to pretend I was using my toes to kick with (very lightly).
So if I understand this right. You are circling around the rock? Thats not a helicopter turn.

great link reefguy.. .. greatly appreciate it.thank you.
and thanks for any extra info you can post michael..

For an ideal helicopter turn, I believe your navel should not move. So place it over the rock and try to rotate around it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom