Helicopter maybe <24 hrs after diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And it all may be a moot point, depending upon which helicopter company you use. Some (most?) sightseeing helo's are pressurized to sea level. At least that's what the company said when I checked on behalf of my pregnant daughter, and it matches my experiences where I never had to equalize during the ride.

For a 30' dive 18 hours before I wouldn't have any concerns and wouldn't even bother inquiring, but if you need a bit more peace of mind, ask about cabin pressurization.

Charlie Allen

The odds of getting bent here have got to be up there with being hit by lightning.

Even if you went straight from the dive to the helicopter, chances are pretty good that you'd be fine. The "no flying after diving" rules are meant to account for far more stressful profiles than a single dive to 30 feet followed by a low-altitude flight in a pressurized aircraft.

But anything is possible, I suppose.

FWIW, when a buddy of mine was worried he got bent (came up too fast on dive) on Kona, the medics took him by helicopter to Honolulu for hyperbaric chamber.

FWIW, when a buddy of mine was worried he got bent (came up too fast on dive) on Kona, the medics took him by helicopter to Honolulu for hyperbaric chamber.

It's not exactly relevant to compare sightseeing in the mountains with a routine transit where they know they are carrying a possibly bent diver.

As the saying goes from guides all around the globe: "Do you want it with emotion or without?" :wink:

Trust me they didn't fly over any mountains on the way to Honolulu :). Pretty much not any higher than a cruise ship deck :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom