heinrichs weikamp OSTC computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've worn headphone wire routed under my coats, through t-shirt sleeves, round to the back of the neck, and I don't know how many different ways. I've done it more times than I care to remember and mostly without getting annoyed. I'm having really hard time seeing how a thin soft wire can possibly be more annoying than an HP hose. What kind of wire are you thinking of, high tension power grid 2x4?

Wireless is even less annoying, no argument, but it's nowhere near as cheap and easy. Cheap and readily available off the shelf bluetooth only works over a few millimetres underwater.

Ok, I'll make this even more clear. I dive a rebreather. It has two handsets, ergo two wires coming from the head. You specifically mentioned a Fischer cable. One of the handsets is wired by Fischer cable. I dive with the specific items you mentioned and I am telling you these things from first hand experience. They are annoying, an entanglement hazard, and a failure point. They are a necessary evil with mixed gas closed circuit diving. That doesn't mean they're comfortable or ideal. That doesn't mean they're a good idea in a recreational environment that doesn't require the specific things that those wired handsets accomplish. There's a reason why things like oxygen CCR's and nitrox SCR's don't use them.

So what you want to do is take an even less robust cable, put it into an environment where it can easily get caught and destroyed, and provides no benefit over the solutions already on the market? Sorry, that's a very poor idea. Your comparison to a set of headphone cables isn't even close to the reality required to function in a marine environment.

Again, I dive with exactly the hardware setup you're proposing, and the idea of making a less robust, unnecessary version, is just a lame idea. If you want your AI on your wrist, bungee your AI computer to your wrist, don't try and go reinventing the wheel with a less desirable solution just because of some fallaciously perceived inconvenience.

Sorry dude, I mentioned it as an example of a dive computer that is already using a wire. Didn't realise you hate it so much.

Excellent computers with excellent service. By the way, if you have an OSTC 2N with latest firmware (and perhaps earlier firmware), it did not recognise that yesterday was actually 29 February and jumped to 1 March. You need to reset date.

Excellent computers with excellent service. By the way, if you have an OSTC 2N with latest firmware (and perhaps earlier firmware), it did not recognise that yesterday was actually 29 February and jumped to 1 March. You need to reset date.

Thanks for that!

I believe they only just started shipping the OSTC4, so it might take a while for reviews.
The 1200€ Price Tag doesn't really help though. :wink:

I love my OSTC Sport to bits... since i don't dive technical at the moment i'm fine with three gases and 70m depth.
Would really love to have the VPM-B Feature of the OSTC4, but i won't pay 700€ for that. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom