heinrichs weikamp OSTC computers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I still think if you put the sensor/transmitter on a piece of hose, clip a wired receiver right next to it, like mask strap or shoulder D-ring, you could get away with a basic radio signal... Of course if you're using a wired receiver, why not just have wired sensor. Rebreather people don't seem to have a problem with fischer connectors, why can't OC divers have a wired hoseless AI.

why can't OC divers have a wired hoseless AI.

What's the point? Just put your hosed AI on a wrist strap, it'll be the same thing, except with another wire.

@buddhasummer i saw from another post that you got a HW computer... Still using it? Any recommendations?

I'm no longer using it as the depth sensor went bad. HW had ceased production of my model and without any correspondence and at no cost they sent me a higher model, OSTC2. Unfortunately it didn't have the features I wanted so I returned it. HW gave me a full refund of original purchase price including shipping. My compounder was just under, IIRC, one year old. Very nice people to deal with, with customer service that rivals Shearwater. I really liked the computer right up until it died. As a company I'd have no problem recommending them. Bad depth senors can and do happen not only to HW, just one of those things. I don't think it's indicative of quality, just bad luck.

Last edited:
thanks @buddhasummer ... The last post on that thread had said something about paying the difference between the 2 and the 3 and getting that... I was wondering if you had gone through with that. Guess not!

thanks @buddhasummer ... The last post on that thread had said something about paying the difference between the 2 and the 3 and getting that... I was wondering if you had gone through with that. Guess not!

Initially I agreed to pay a €50 difference and get the OSTC3 but unfortunately the release date kept getting pushed back and in the end I could no longer wait so went with a Petrel instead.

@buddhasummer thanks :) I guess I'll keep on looking. I like underdogs usually, especially when they're doing such a good job.

I'll look into the liquivision omnix...

What's the point? Just put your hosed AI on a wrist strap, it'll be the same thing, except with another wire.

The point is tie your SPG to your wrist and see how you like that. Thin soft wire is different from a rubber HP hose.

The point is tie your SPG to your wrist and see how you like that. Thin soft wire is different from a rubber HP hose.

Well, wireless AI has neither. And owning a rebreather with two handsets (1 APECS and 1 Fischer'd Predator), I can tell you that even a "thin soft wire" is annoying at the least, a failure point and entanglement hazard on top of it. If it was not required to monitor PO2 and control the solenoid on an eCCR, rebreather divers would delete the handsets for the reasons I just mentioned.

I guess I'm just not understanding why you want to create even more annoyance. Wiring things to your arms sucks no matter what, but by doing some weird hose to wire thing you're just removing the benefit of wireless AI, and replacing it with wired AI, just a different sort of leash.

I guess I'm just not understanding why you want to create even more annoyance. Wiring things to your arms sucks no matter what, but by doing some weird hose to wire thing you're just removing the benefit of wireless AI, and replacing it with wired AI, just a different sort of leash.

I've worn headphone wire routed under my coats, through t-shirt sleeves, round to the back of the neck, and I don't know how many different ways. I've done it more times than I care to remember and mostly without getting annoyed. I'm having really hard time seeing how a thin soft wire can possibly be more annoying than an HP hose. What kind of wire are you thinking of, high tension power grid 2x4?

Wireless is even less annoying, no argument, but it's nowhere near as cheap and easy. Cheap and readily available off the shelf bluetooth only works over a few millimetres underwater.

Back
Top Bottom