Heavy metal diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Noviz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Need opinion... I'm 6'5", 250lbs. I dive the Atlantic off New York and Rhode Island, with an occasional trip to Dutch Springs. And I wear a size XXXL wetsuit. With all that neoprene I need WEIGHT. A 6.5 mil J and J or a 7 mil semi-dry is very floaty! I have a chance to acquire a steel LP 120 with a Y-valve, boot, and carry strap for a VERY good price. I think it's a better choice for me than the current AL80.

Is this too much tank? (I use a rear inflate BC, and cannot afford BP/W at this time...)

You sound like a good sized diver so assuming fitness handling the tank should not be a big deal. As far a lift goes whatever negative buoyancy you gain compared with your prior configuration will come off your weights so your lift requirement should not change.

Is it too much? Have you been the diver coming up short on air and turning the dives?

Pete

Yes it is probably too much tank for you! How old are you? Maybe if you wait a year or two you will grow a couple more inches and add a little muscle.. then you will be able to handle it.

I have 2 of them and use them often!

Diving salt water with thick wetsuits ... Definately get the steel tank..

If you have a good SCR, then you *might* get two dives from one tank... Depth / time dependent..

SoggyShoes:
Too much tank? Is that possible?
Yep its possible, especially with steel.

SoggyShoes:
Too much tank? Is that possible?

It's kind of like having too much money (at least when you're diving cold water and lots of weight).

If he's that big, an HP120 should be no problem, and he'll even lose some weight off of his belt.

Folks... thanks for replies... I know that the weight issue is a net zero (that which I add on the tank comes off the belt, or in my case I'd take it out on the BC. I like to keep weight on the belt. Makes me feel secure, and I can use suspenders so it won't slip. Ditchable weight is in/on BC). What I'm curious about is the effect on balance. It seens to me that the heavy tank would:
1. Distribute weight more evenly from the shoulders to hips when in a hozizontal attitude.
2. Make it easier to roll in a horizontal attitude becaude weight is higher than before
Is this correct? Is option 1 a good thing... it sound ike one. And is option 2 a bad thing? It seems that the additional weight on the back can be somewhat negated by moving the belt weights forward. Also, with all my neoprene squished like a kitchen sponge, I invariable will have some air in the rear bladder at depth. This will negate the rolly-ness? Tight? Huh?

Early last season made the switch from AL80 to a steel 120. I switch back and forth now when I don't need the bigger tank. I never noticed a tendency to roll with the steel, I also dive a back inflate BC. To me the steel feels much like the AL, it is a tiny bit longer but not noticeable. You will be able to drop about 5 lb. of lead.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom