Heaviest Backplate

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am contemplating building out a dedicated rig for when I dive dry. Who makes the heaviest backplate (standard size)? I’m ok with established companies or small custom makers but want it to be someone who is actually in business, so a DSS recommendation would not work for me (unless you have one to sell). I saw mention of someone in MS who at all me time made some but could not find contact info.

it looks like Hollis steel late is 5.5lbs and that seems to be the heaviest I have seen so far

Fred Tagge (FredT) is the one in MS who makes plates; he just made one for me. He can do varied thicknesses and sizes. His email is FredTgearms@gmail.com.

Fred Tagge (FredT) is the one in MS who makes plates; he just made one for me. He can do varied thicknesses and sizes. His email is FredTgearms@gmail.com.
Is he still making backplates, he was last on the board in 2015. I have one of his heavy ones and they are great.

Setting up a dedicated cold water drysuit kit right now. Started with the Sub Gravity 6mm ss backplate @ 10 lbs. I also have an IST bar weight that sits in a cordura pouch and goes in the center channel of the backplate for a total of 13 lbs integrated backplate weight.

Planning on ordering the Seaskin Nova drysuit and depending on how feet heavy or light I end up, I have 2 trim pockets for 1 of the 2 cam bands, and 2 pockets for ditchable weight on the waist harness. My goal is to be sans weight belt if possible.

For the record - EXD makes (made ?) an 8mm (measured 8.5 mm) steel backplate that weighs 8 kg (ca 17 lbs) - not sure they are still in business.

I have one but don't find it that useful. It is too heavy for any of my steel twin sets and for any dive with any of my wet suits (up to and including the 8mm one - even when used in salt water).

Warm water diving means flying for me and I have taken the backplate exactly once on a trans-atlantic flight (the excess baggage charge cost more than the backplate).

The only time I use it is for fairly shallow dives using a single steel tank in cold water while wearing a drysuit and thick undergarment which doesn't happen very often.

regards,

Rory

I am contemplating building out a dedicated rig for when I dive dry. Who makes the heaviest backplate (standard size)? I’m ok with established companies or small custom makers but want it to be someone who is actually in business, so a DSS recommendation would not work for me (unless you have one to sell). I saw mention of someone in MS who at all me time made some but could not find contact info.

it looks like Hollis steel late is 5.5lbs and that seems to be the heaviest I have seen so far
I’m not sure why this came to mind, but I just remembered those lead blankets used to protect your innards during xrays. They’re roughly human torso shaped and usually 15-20 lb and would fit under a dry suit.

On second thought, I bet you could get some #2 lead sheet and have it welded to whatever backplate for next to nothing. It’s soft enough to easily cut out slots, and you could cover it with a pad and wind up with a plate that has exactly the right weight, exactly where you want it. Upside to softness is you could initially secure it with zip ties while you figure out how much weight and where you want it, then take it to basically any welder to have it attached.

#2 lead sheets (1/32” thickness) are easily bendable, easily cutable, and weigh a touch over 7lb per square foot. retail for a 1sqft sheet is 15 bucks. For 30 bucks your 5lb backplate can become a 20lb backplate, using zip ties or sex bolts or adhesive or a combination for attachment. For another 30 bucks I bet you can get someone to weld it on permanently.

#1 lead sheeting is half as thick and weighs half as much for the same area, meaning even finer control over where exactly the weight goes. The malleability of thinner lead sheeting would mean you could even put it on the tank side. Over time, the tank would wear a minor groove into the sheet, potentially eliminating any tank wobble in your backplate.

the more I think about this the more I love it. I may affix some #1 sheet to my al80s with a spare cam band for a discount steel tank effect.

I’m not sure why this came to mind, but I just remembered those lead blankets used to protect your innards during xrays. They’re roughly human torso shaped and usually 15-20 lb and would fit under a dry suit.

On second thought, I bet you could get some #2 lead sheet and have it welded to whatever backplate for next to nothing. It’s soft enough to easily cut out slots, and you could cover it with a pad and wind up with a plate that has exactly the right weight, exactly where you want it. Upside to softness is you could initially secure it with zip ties while you figure out how much weight and where you want it, then take it to basically any welder to have it attached.

#2 lead sheets (1/32” thickness) are easily bendable, easily cutable, and weigh a touch over 7lb per square foot. retail for a 1sqft sheet is 15 bucks. For 30 bucks your 5lb backplate can become a 20lb backplate, using zip ties or sex bolts or adhesive or a combination for attachment. For another 30 bucks I bet you can get someone to weld it on permanently.

#1 lead sheeting is half as thick and weighs half as much for the same area, meaning even finer control over where exactly the weight goes. The malleability of thinner lead sheeting would mean you could even put it on the tank side. Over time, the tank would wear a minor groove into the sheet, potentially eliminating any tank wobble in your backplate.

the more I think about this the more I love it. I may affix some #1 sheet to my al80s with a spare cam band for a discount steel tank effect.
@happy-diver who had pictures of this done on his freedom plate.

For another 30 bucks I bet you can get someone to weld it on permanently.
I would be willing to bet you can't get lead welded to stainless steel for $30

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom