Heated Wear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A diver local to me suffered severe burns in his back from one of those motorcycle vests that malfunctioned while on a technical dive.

I wouldn't cut corners for using a heated vest for use in an environment for which it was not designed.

Why didn't he just turn off power to it? Did the burns happen so fast that he got them even though he turned off (or disconnected) power right away?

The Warm 'n Safe gear I use is not specifically designed for scuba. But, motorcycle outer layers leak sometimes. Rain comes in around the neck, zippers, etc.. Good quality heated motorcycle gear does not give you severe burns if it gets wet.

Why didn't he just turn off power to it? Did the burns happen so fast that he got them even though he turned off (or disconnected) power right away?

The Warm 'n Safe gear I use is not specifically designed for scuba. But, motorcycle outer layers leak sometimes. Rain comes in around the neck, zippers, etc.. Good quality heated motorcycle gear does not give you severe burns if it gets wet.
It was inside his dry suit.

It was inside his dry suit.

The battery was inside his drysuit? If you read what I and the OP both posted, neither of us intends to use a motorcycle heated jacket or shirt with the battery inside the suit. The danger of using a heated garment with the battery inside the suit has already been brought up in this very thread. That would be a poor choice (in my opinion) if you were using a heated garment that is specifically designed for scuba.

In other words, whether the garment was designed for scuba use or not seems to be completely irrelevant to what you posted.

In other words, whether the garment was designed for scuba use or not seems to be completely irrelevant to what you posted.

Not really. The testing for a Thermolution vest which has the batteries inside is going to go through far more rigorous testing as they understand that it will be used inside dry suits where the batter cannot be easily unplugged.

Just an FYI, these are currently on sale for $90.

Men's T-Shirt Heat Layer for 7.4V

I have a complete set of Warm 'n Safe gear for riding my motorcycle. Jacket, leggings, socks, and glove liners. Warm 'n Safe is top quality gear and the owner is great. Excellent customer service.

I ordered one of the heated t-shirts because they are on sale for less than half price. My plan is, like you, to hook it up to an external battery pack and controller (from Underwater Light Dude).

I specifically wanted the t-shirt version because I don't want the bulk of long sleeves, and particularly long sleeves with wiring and connectors down near my wrists. Also, the t-shirt version will fit closer to my skin than a jacket. And no collar interfering with my drysuit neck seal.

I don't feel like I need a lot of heat, either. If I need a lot of heat, that means I'm not wearing enough insulation. Which means that if my electric heat were to die for some reason, I could freeze my buns off. To the point of being unsafe because of the possibility of hypothermia and also because being really cold at the end of a dive - especially a planned deco dive - is a good way to get very bent.

In my view, electric undies should never be providing the main part of your warmth. Not without full redundancy, anyway. The danger from hypothermia and the bends is just too great. For me, I think a heated t-shirt under my insulating undies should be just fine.

All good points. I use a heated shirt with 2 layers of 4th Element underwear and gloves. The shirt failed recently so I thought I’d try this jacket. The sleeves have direct connections for the gloves eliminating extra wiring. There are 2 inputs on the jacket, one for the jacket and the other for the gloves. From my controller I can call for 100% or 50% to the jacket and 100% to the gloves.
I’m diving it tomorrow and will know how comfortable it is.
I’m considering your point of the shirt though, I may pick up the vest version for plug and play.

Thermalution yellow grade plus owner. I did a bulk buy with a group of friends and to my knowledge we have all had issues with the cheap wires they use. Buzz buzz buzz oh great another $340 cad for batteries. The wires don’t last. I’ve also test dove the venture heat, the internal batteries are way too uncomfortable. While I appreciate the over engineered wires and connectors the bulky batteries are a no go.

I’m in the process of external batteries pack, bulkhead and vest. Everything else is a toy.

Thermalution yellow grade plus owner. I did a bulk buy with a group of friends and to my knowledge we have all had issues with the cheap wires they use. Buzz buzz buzz oh great another $340 cad for batteries. The wires don’t last. I’ve also test dove the venture heat, the internal batteries are way too uncomfortable. While I appreciate the over engineered wires and connectors the bulky batteries are a no go.

I’m in the process of external batteries pack, bulkhead and vest. Everything else is a toy.
Interesting, myself and a number of other divers on this side of the border are quite happy with the Thermolution vests for 2 hour technical dives.

Your dive buddies are not Neanderthals who abuse their gear . Rjack can help you break your vest twice.
FIFY

@girlwithbigtanks

In all seriousness I was not an early adopter. The people who were had issues (with the vest, no comment about themselves).

Those who bought later didn’t seem to have issues. My heated vest I treat more delicately than anything else.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom