Heated Vest which one

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

phasechange

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I am looking at heated undergarments and have come down to two choices Light Monkey Heated Base, and golem gear vest. I know there is also the Santi heated vest, and UTD Solar Heating System but the option setup looked better with the LM or GG. I plan to use a drysuit inflation valve with a Combo Bulkhead connector - E/O connector version and an existing canister. I may add glove liners later. Leaning toward the LM shirt style but like the water proof rubberized pads of the GG better. These are the pros and cons that I see. Please let me know if you have experience with them.

Light Monkey heated base (
Pros
- Two thermal pads, each drawing 20W of power, for a combined 40W -
-Full shirt – thin - minimal thickness but would allow routing of wires for gloves
-removable thermal pads
-minimal buoyancy increase
Cons
- Expensive
- Not a durable- carbon fiber wires flex and break
- Not as waterproof

Golem Gear vest
Pros
- element panels, 3 on the back and 2 on the front
- 65w (according to lola data)
- rubberized panels
- Looks durable
Cons-
- bulky –buoyant
- wire routing not as good

UTD Solar Drysuit Heating System
Pros
- Heats the kidneys (good or bad ?)
- Waterproof - heating element is contained within an insulated and bonded garment shell.
- Low 130ºF/54ºC, high 145ºF/62ºC

Cons
-attachment point is at waist – wire routing
-Wrap around the waist – may come loose during dive

Add the power / controller to your list as it can really change performance of the vest. I use a Santi vest with a UWLD can and controller and can't recommend the combo enough. Downsides are the UWLD controller is obnoxiously sensitive to any contact,meaning if it bumps against your inflater it will change settings. But it puts out serious heat and lasts. LM is good too, the Pitkin controller is very nice, most my dive buddies have switched to the UWLD as it gives more heat (just too sensitive)

I use a LOLA vest and battery pack (they're Czech). Very good value.

The only word of caution, ensure you can disconnect the power from the vest whilst in the water. I've seen a few people with nasty burns when they had issues with the controller and or flooding.

I've got a lightly used UWLD controller (no battery can included) that I don't use anymore that I've been thinking of selling. If you go that route, let me know.

I'm using the Light Monkey vest and I'm happy with results. Well technically..I am using the heated pads from Light Monkey which I sewed into a fleece vest and did my own wiring. If you are into DIY then Light Monkey is happy to sell you the heating pads separately.

My friend has the actual Light Monkey vest and the build quality / wiring is very good. I really like it. Light Monkey also sells the same push-lock connectors that Santi uses on their vests / gloves so this system can be compatible with the Santi heated gloves if you wanted them in the future.

The pads are very flexible and provide even distribution of heating. I don't run mine without a controller as I find 40W is subtle enough but provides good warmth. I suspect if the vest was 50-60w+ then I'd want a controller.

I'm just running mine from a 10Ah (11.1v LiPO) battery. 10Ah x 11.1v = 111Wh which gives me about a ~2 hours and 45 minute runtime if the battery is fully charged. I typically will try to only use my vest on deco so it lasts 2 dives. Admittedly, if I'm only doing one dive I'll run it the entire time in 35-39f (1.6c-4c) water.

Depending on budget and size I know someone who is selling a lightly used DUI heated undergarment.......size XL for $1500 Cdn.

I agree the uwld piezo switch is very sensitive, I made a simple cover, it pulls back easily to adjust. I'm much happier with it since this add on.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom