Heat wave

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many of those years encompassed human civilization as defined as moving from nomadic hunter gatherers to settled agricultural and industrial societies?

Of course our current civilization is currently a small blip on the scale. Though at the same time, If you look at past rates for things like oceanic rise, it has risen much faster in the distant past than the worst predictions for the next hundred years.

Now that doesn't mean people aren't messing things up that will have a great impact on the future. I do believe civilization as a whole is trashing the place and much needs to change and more need to start caring for the world instead of being selfish and see it as important for everyone's future.

Most of which was before humans walked upright, irrelevant.

While much of human histories are written by the winners, I would say the earths history is far from being irrelevant unless you don't want to learn from the past.

Most of which was before humans walked upright, irrelevant.

In most recent centuries, there was the scarcely noticed Medieval Warm Period caused by "increased solar activity, decreased volcanic activity, and changes in ocean circulation," followed by the Little Ice Age caused by "cyclical lows in solar radiation, heightened volcanic activity, changes in the ocean circulation, variations in Earth's orbit and axial tilt (orbital forcing), inherent variability in global climate, and decreases in the human population (such as from the Black Death and the epidemics emerging in the Americas upon European contact" plus the slaughter of the great North American Bison herd. Notice the sharp increase since 2000?
Commendable of you to try to educate those that need it. But they're uneducated by choice, not because of lack of opportunity. I'll admit I'm a cynical old bastard, but I believe you're wasting your time. Fortunately those that are educated are diligently working on the problems we need to solve.

What does "reverse course" entail? How many people will die to do it? Show me the supporting data.
No. Just stop. Your demands are irritating. If you were really interested, you would educate yourself instead of insisting that everyone else bend over backwards in a futile effort to convince you.

So... no. We're busy doing important, productive things.

Now that doesn't mean people aren't messing things up that will have a great impact on the future. I do believe civilization as a whole is trashing the place and much needs to change and more need to start caring for the world instead of being selfish and see it as important for everyone's future.
Hittin' the nail on the head here. The real issue is not how fast anything is changing now compared to what happened over the past billion years. The real issue, as you suggest, is learning and admitting what effects our actions have on the habitability of the planet, and what we can reasonably do to mitigate those effects.

Al Gore actually won the popular vote election in 2000...... and even though he lost the electoral college results, he graciously and honorably accepted and honored the result. He was a champion for the environment and would have made a difference.
This is hilarious… do just a tiny amount of research. Al Gores 20 room mansion with 8 bathrooms uses electricity 34 times higher than the average household. Obama just bought a sprawling mansion literally right on the water on the east coast. He’s not worried about rising sea level? Cmon, don’t be a sheep.

It’s always the same with these people, the Al Gores, DiCaprio’s, John Kerry’s of the world… do as I say, not as I do. Pretty sure they are not too worried about climate change from aboard their luxury yacht in the Mediterranean or in their private jet. Geez.

With global warming and the melting of the icecaps, at least there will be some VERY interesting diving in 100 years.

Forget about that fancy well in the UAE. Come dive NYC!!!!

I read somewhere (and of course now I can't find it) that after the Spanish conquered the Americas, there was a spike in oxygen levels because the forests reclaimed all of the developed areas (Inca, Aztec, Maya, etc.) once all the pesky humans were murdered. So that's kind of interesting and just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom