Heart attack boarding - Grand Canary Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better than keeling over shoveling show from your driveway too. Dude was 80, odds of successful recovery from a cardiac arrest even with immediate AED weren't hot.

If ya gotta go, dying of a sudden heart attack, on a dive boat, in the Canary Islands, at eighty, is not the worst way it could happen. Beats the heck out of Alzheimer’s anyway.

"They said that he fainted after getting into the boat from a dive and hadn’t yet come round and that they were heading to Puerto de Mogán.

Once there, medical personnel met the boat and verified that the diver was in cardiorespiratory arrest and began to perform advanced cardiopulmonary resuscitation manoeuvres without obtaining any results, and could only confirm his death."

Read the second paragraph above that:

...The Emergency Services Coordination Centre (CECOES) have reported that they received an urgent call for assistance from people aboard the boat, who were administering CPR as they have first aid training, but that the 80-year-old man was not responding...

Did I read that right? They assumed he fainted and CPR wasn't performed until they met medical personnel?
I don't know why you don't understand, but it says "people aboard the boat, who were administering CPR"

I don't know why you don't understand, but it says "people aboard the boat, who were administering CPR"
Not sure why you're so inflamed over how I read it. Poorly written and I still don't think he was given proper aide until they met the responders. Advanced cpr could be anything depending on location. Was CPR began immediately or after awhile because they thought he'd fainted? And since I posed my first response as a question that was then attacked after I explained I read it you can both piss off.

Not sure why you're so inflamed over how I read it.
I was never inflamed. Just confused.
I posed my first response as a question that was then attacked after I explained
I never attacked. Sorry it seemed so.
Advanced cpr could be anything depending on location. Was CPR began immediately or after awhile because they thought he'd fainted?
That he received CPR on the boat and was rushed to meet paramedics who added advanced CPR, which I take as using a Defib, was great - so much more than I would receive during most of my daily life as I'm usually alone and served by a volunteer fire department ambulance, means he got every chance to being brought back from the dead, but he was done. At least we do have paramedics and a well-equipped ambulance now as compared to the funeral shop hearse that used to serve the needs decades ago the first time I road in one, but even if I got a phone call off before going into arrest, it'd take a while for the guys to leave work, get to the firehouse, start the vehicle and get here.

If ya gotta go, dying of a sudden heart attack, on a dive boat, in the Canary Islands, at eighty, is not the worst way it could happen. Beats the heck out of Alzheimer’s anyway.
No doubt. I jokingly tell folks I hope to be eaten by a tiger shark while SCUBA diving at age 90.

(The tiger specifically so it's in a nice warm place.)

You don't want a pack of wolf eels and GPO to decimate your body?
I'd be totally cool with that! I'd rather feed my friends than just be embalmed and take up earth space! I think cemeteries are a total waste of real estate. For those that don't want to be cremated or committed to the deep, I say bury them all vertically and then put in a park or a golf course.....

I'd be totally cool with that! I'd rather feed my friends than just be embalmed and take up earth space! I think cemeteries are a total waste of real estate. For those that don't want to be cremated or committed to the deep, I say bury them all vertically and then put in a park or a golf course.....
Rifle range....

I plan to start spending two weeks backpacking in Denali on my 80th b-day and every year there after until I don't make it back. Birthday is in November so...

Back
Top Bottom