Heard some whales, then heard something else and looked up....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When can I go diving with you?!?!

Seriously, that is an awesome video and that experience had to be incredible! Thanks for sharing!

Peace,
Greg

That would have been some great video of blue water had the dolphins not gotten in the way.

Very, very cool.

What is with the plastic bag on the dolphin? :idk: That is so sad...:depressed:

Humans need to ban plastic grocery bags. Of course we could take it upon ourselves to just start using cloth grocery bags.

Peter-They're actually known to play with plastic bags by carrying them around on their flippers.

It's a shame in that plastic does not belong in the ocean, but as smellzlikefish mentions, the dolphin's tickled to have it. The local dolphins have a game "the leaf game" that's sort of a combination of fetch and keep away, sort of like shaking a sock at a cat or dog and daring them to take it from you... but in this case it's usually the dolphins taunting you daring you to take it from them. A lot of the dolphin swimmers (that's a whole nother right/wrong issue) will carry leaves with them because dolphins will often come up to play the game. I talked with someone a few weeks back that had a dophin come up to him with a leaf and play keep away with him for about 20 minutes earlier in the week.

I'm thrilled being able to just watch them as they pass by on dives.

Last edited:
Steve! That is the height of awesomeness. You lucky son of a gun.

How often do you make it that far north with your boat?

I've heard people say that there is really odd coral structure at Makalawena. Someone said it looks like a mayan temple or something. Have you ever seen anything like that there?

It is a long hike to the beach to that spot even with my 4x4. I'm wondering if anyone has attempted shore diving long there.

We're finally seeing a break in swell... whew!

-Eric

Hearing whales and now the dolphins! You are one lucky ba_tard!! I can't wait to see what you'll encounter next.

Eric,

We generally only get up there with our customers that have been diving with us for a while or that I know we can trust not to break things. We seem to get there every now and then during the spring through fall when conditions are really calm. There's some really cool stuff there I've not seen anywhere else. I don't have any photos of the structure you're probably asking about, it's sort of like the LA airport tripod structure with a few more legs branching off at the bottom. The dive is really dependant on lack of swell, current and wind, some of the times we get there I just take a look and keep going on up to Kua Bay.

I've never tried shore diving there, not sure how the entries are. If you get out to the beach it might be worth snorkeling the heck out of it first and seeing if you can find anything worthwhile, the bulk of the good stuff is unlikely to be readily reached off the sand.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom