health insurance? a little help, pls

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

weekender

Contributor
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a diving trade group that offers group health insurance? My girlfriend is a DM and works P/T for local shops and me when i teach. She is a self employed attorney and her rates just went up dramatically. This post is a stretch, we know, but we are exploring any options we can. Also, if a self employed attorney or individual has any specific ideas that would be great. she practices in bergen county nj. ive checked what i believe to be every chamber of commerce and trade group with no luck. hopefully i missed one. i appreciate anyones input but please keep any responses related to specific groups that might offer health benefits for independent contractors, thanks.

I'm an insurance agent (health,life), and am licensed for Mich.. Each state has their own regs., and an agent needs to have a license for each state they sell in. That makes your question specific to only someone who can sell in N.J. Not that that is a bad thing, but, that really narrows the people that could answer your question. :wink:

Good luck,
Caymaniac

My brother-in-law is a contractor in Massachusetts. His insurance is through a special plan offered to sole proprietors and other small businesses.

In addition, the Massachusetts Bar Association offers health insurance to its members. Does New Jersey's?

She should contact the ABA or her own Bar association - its a logical starting point for a lawyer.

thanks for the input. unfortunatey nj doesnt allow organizations like the aba or chamber of commerce to give group benefits. a bill is being debated in the state house and hopefully will be passed. i learned this after posting. so, she is either going to have to suck it up or get a large dowery together so im willing to marry her. then i can put her on my plan. the smart money is on the politicians, just dont tell her. again thanks

There is insurance available as a group plan through the state bar association in IL and IA. I'm also a title insurance agent through a bar-related title company. Yes, I know, everyone's favorites--attorney AND insurance agent. Maybe I should also sell used cars. We have our health insurance through a group policy through the title insurance company. It seems to be fairly reasonable, as far as health insurance goes.

Total employees 8 full time 2 part-time.

Health insurance in 2002 - $58,200.

Its high everywhere.

...or move to a domestic partner state like California, shack up together, get a joint checking account and wala...You'll be able to cover her under your plan...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom