Heading to Coz next Feb...Any recommended boats to go with?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Congratulations on getting certified and going back. :medal:

For a brand new diver, my usual suggestions would include...

Hire a private DM the first day - money well spent.

Be sure you have DAN dive insurance and not the cheapest plan - or maybe Diver Assure.

Carry your own signaling devices, i.e. sausage you can at least inflate on the surface as deploying from depth takes practice, a Storm whistle, maybe a signal mirror,* and I carry a dive light on every dive.

It really doesn't matter which dive Op you go with much, and we don't know your preferences in details as you haven't done any trips to know yourself. I tried several before I picked out my favorites two, but I'd be willing to try others if the occasion called for a change. I like the cheapest ones just fine, but those that charge more are often worth it.

* I just read a news story about a pilot who ditched his small plan in a Great Lake, treaded water for 18 hours including overnight, and try signaling boats with a credit card. I carry my dive mirror on hikes and wear a snorkel vest on moving dive boats; he may want both before he flies over one again. :eyebrow:

Sharky's top reco's: (no particular order)

this is a small list of the MANY, MANY good dive ops on Cozumel. I have personally dove with some of this group and the rest I have observed as a business man and would jump on any of these guys/gals boats any day...

Aldora Divers: Top notch dive operation, Highly rated by many divers

Blue Angel: Exellent DM's and captains, good fast boats (with recently new motors), VERY good on-site instructor

BlueXTSea: "boutique" diving at it's best! it's the little extra touches that make your trip.

Bottom Time Divers: Small operation, pretty much "private diving", Raul is very safety minded

Dive with Alison: another small operation that gets very good reviews

Dive with Martin: one of the best money values on the island. Excellent DM's

This list covers a wide range of services and price ranges (not that they very THAT much), like I said, I'd strap on any day with any of them.

have a great trip...

Congratulations on getting certified and going back. :medal:

For a brand new diver, my usual suggestions would include...

....Be sure you have DAN dive insurance and not the cheapest plan - or maybe Diver Assure.

Carry your own signaling devices, i.e. sausage you can at least inflate on the surface as deploying from depth takes practice, a Storm whistle, maybe a signal mirror,* and I carry a dive light on every dive....

...a spare blow up boat&oars, shark repellent; spare fins, mask & 5 snorkels; 3 octo's, double tanks & double spare airs, hurricane & earthquake insurance, the boy scout manual, water-proof matches, back-up dive buddy & DM, spare dive boat an motor and a teddy bear. :D

...a spare blow up boat&oars, shark repellent; spare fins, mask & 5 snorkels; 3 octo's, double tanks & double spare airs, hurricane & earthquake insurance, the boy scout manual, water-proof matches, back-up dive buddy & DM, spare dive boat an motor and a teddy bear. :D

Frick that's funny sharky, Thanks for the laugh :rofl3:

You think maybe my suggestions were excessive...?

See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ba...appropriate-safety-equipment.html#post5992802

And http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ac...overdue-divers-sea-overnight.html#post5992793

And that's why the Teddy Bear conceals to strobe lights in the eyes and an emergency radio antenna in the tail. (Push the belly button to activate....)

:shocked2:
I thought you lost the bear at airport. You back now?

I thought you lost the bear at airport. You back now?

Yes darn it. I have left Paradise for Mundania. I would have had time to look for the bear at ATL as they were running a hour behind on top of the long layover. Finally pulled in the driveway at like 0205.

Finally got down south and did the Devil's Throat Sunday. For me it turned out to be a check off on the list, one and done, I think. I mean it was interesting and all but I expected something more than basically a longer swim through. Plus of course my nephew I was following seemed to be walking through it judging by the amount of sand he kicked in my face.... :( We did stop at El Ceilo and the Mrs. got to see her starfish.

My other nephew decided Horseshoe and the towering formations is his favorite. I STILL don't have a favorite so I will have to keep looking.... :D

Change your sig :wink:

Back
Top Bottom