heading to ambergris, where to have girlfriend finish her certifications

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
We'll be staying at Coco Beach May 6-14, I'm certified, yet a beginner myself w/20 dives. She did all of her classroom training and needs to finish up her open water certification. Any recommendations on outfits to use and/or stay away from. Not interested in the blue hole, but I'd like the whale shark dives (still trying to convince her 40 ft plankton eaters aren't going to eat her). Last year she did the DSD class and wound up doing 4 or 5 dives in Aruba with an instructor. I joined her for her last pool dive yesterday (referesher never hurts) and she's pretty comfortable under the water. What are our options for this trip, what sites are recommended to try/avoid for us.

You are unlikely to see any whale sharks. Those dives are in Placencia. See if you can find out which operator Coco Beach uses. I'm reasonably confident they will be just fine. Coco beach is quite for from town so likely served by an operator that works farther up island. Perhaps it is White Sands. Coco beach is a lovely resort. Have fun.

Im in San Pedro right now and dove with Amigos del Mar a couple days ago and will be going with them again in the morning. Like you, I am not interested in the blue hole but we did dive the reef here. Short 10 minute boat ride and it was a nice dive. Cant speak for other shops but I really enjoyed ADM so Im going back. I honestly dont know if there are any bad places to take her. Good luck with whichever place you chose. ADM is next to where Im staying so thats why I went there. Small groups so the DM was able to devote his time to ensuring we had a good dive. Just my .02

They do, but it's a long way if there are only a couple of divers (fuel is expensive). They may have others up that way - ask them.

I was certified by Elbert Greer of White Sands. I can recommend him.

Elbert's team certified my 12 year old daughter in April, and I dove three days with them. I liked this operation very much and will dive with them again if I go back to Ambergris Caye.

Thanks for the recommendation guys, they were a great shop to dive with. Good equipment, great staff and very friendly and helpful for us newbies.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom