Headed To Phuket In November, Need Advice!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

T-rex12

Registered
Reaction score
I will be heading to Phuket in late November staying for roughly two weeks. A couple questions:

Where are the best dive spots for that time of year?

What dive shops/operations does everyone recommend?

I would definitely like to visit Phi Phi Island but unsure if that's the best diving?

Are liveaboards worth it? It looks like there are a ton of options on Divebooker.com

Any companies do a 3 dive day trip?

I will be staying near Patong beach. What else does everyone recommend doing while we are there?

Thanks for the input

Last edited:
Why would you go to divebooker when you get good, personal and honest advice from people who actually know the boats, on here?

In that time of year all dive options are open, meaning Similans plus Koh Bon, Koh Tachai (presuming the pinnacles will be available) and Richelieu Rock, Phi Phi, Hin Daeng, Hin Muang, Shark Point area.

So what I would recommend you to do, is first of all make a choice: do you want to dive the southern divesites like Koh Haa, Hin Daeng and Hin Muang? Very good diving, but there are less options there than to the other divesites. You could go on a daytrip from lanat there or on a liveaboard from Phuket. If liveaboard, combine the Southern Andaman sites with a trip to the Similans etc., minimum 3 days/3 nights, preferably 4 days/4 nights or maybe even 5, and you'll get the best diving available in.

I can fully recommend StevenL as a great and knowledgeable contact - if im passing through Phuket I use him to book dives - located at Kata which is a nice tuktuk ride away from the madness of Patong. You will find StevenL can get you to the areas you decide on no dramas. Phi Phi is pretty crowded but a very popular divespot easily accessible from Phuket as is the three dive superday - Anemone or Koh Doc Mai, Shark Point and the King Cruiser wreck.

Topside around patong beach....depends what you are amused by. No end of ladyboys and cabarets and bars and shows to see (Fantasia is popular but not my thing) on bangla road. A day trip I would suggest is taking the ferry over to Krabi and then taking a longtail to Railay beach to get a look at another province with stunning scenery. There is also diving out of Krabi - I use Poseidon dive academy.

Personally id do a LOB to the Andaman sites and a LOB to Hin Daeng and Hin Muang.

See here. DCs have not been officially informed, afaik neither have tour companies, but I think this will apply to visitors of Tachai Island. I think the deeper divesites will remain open, but staying overnight at Tachai will not be allowed anymore. That is for the diving part, all daytrip snorkeling tours and other excursions, including dIving anywhere else than the pinnacles, will not be allowed anymore.

I just stumbled upon Divebooker, haven't actually used it. I prefer to get info from people that have been there, such as here on scubaboard.
From what I am getting here is that at least a 3 day liveaboard is the way to go?
The southern divesites look pretty awesome. Are they as crowded as the others, such as phi phi, shark point, king cruiser wreck? Do they offer the same or more in the terms of marine life and corals?

Quote function not working properly, sorry.

For the Southern sites I would say a 3 days liveaboard is fine, for the Similans etc. if possible 4 days or longer. If you dont have the time for that, do at least 3 days and 3 nights in stead of 3 days and 2 nights. The extra night will mean it is a different type of boat and the whole experience will be much more relaxing.

Not many daytrips to Hin Daeng etc., so less divers as compared to Shark Point/King Cruiser and especially Phi Phi. And yes, they are really, really nice divesites, if the conditions cooperate it could be argued that they are the best Thailand has to offer.

The Similan Islands National Park will be opened in November so I highly recommend you this area of the Andaman Sea. I went there last March and I had a great time above and below the water. I dove with the liveaboard The Junk - which was great! The dive guides were very friendly, the food was incredibly tasty and the boat very comfortable. The itinerary was a 6 night trip but I know they also do 4 night trips up to Richelieu Rock (which is by the way one of the best dive sites I have every dived!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom