Headed For Tech...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What would you call tech diving? If you are talking about moving onto just basic nitrox diving then that shouldnt pose a problem. However if you are talking about moving immediately into gas switching etc underwater then i strongly urge you to reconsider and get some extensive experience diving in different conditons first. You will be restricted to what tech courses you can do anyway, by the number and type of dives that you have already done. For example in order to take the IANTD Technical diver course you must have at least 150 dives and some of those must be specific types of dives. Maybe you can give us some more info on your exact intentions bridgenet.

Hey Bridgenet,

I have to chip in with some of the other folks here who are preaching the slowdown...
Lost yopper mentioned the GUE training and you should know that these guys insist on 100 dives between cert levels...

As far as the gear goes -
A back plate is the only way to go if you seriously thing you want to go tack - forget the "tech" BC's, that's not what you need - besides - a BP is cheaper...

As far as regs go -
I'm sure the Sherwood is fine - but LY is correct that you will be finding yourself looking for another reg pretty fast, when you notice what everyone else is diving.
I dive a SP G250/Mk20 longhose on LP104's, I will openly admit that I have changed my opinion on the regs - if I was to purchase that reg again tomorrow - I would get an Apeks TX50 - the main issue for me now is the lack of a sealed first stage on the Scuba Pro.

for your entertainment - here's a link to a woman who makes a lot of images - you will see anything there that you can desire (well, that's my opinion anyway) - you will also maybe see some cool stuff that will keep you interested while you are slowing down...

I'm glad to see you here and welcome you.
Cheers,
Dane

Bridge, here is a link to unbiased reviews of diving gear. Some don't like this site because they think they know more than the Lab's test crew. I doubt that.

http://scubadiving.com/gear/

devjr,
I don't think it is so much that people think they know more than the lab peopel - it's just the Rodales has been notorious for being VERY biased towards the amount of $$$ spent on advertising by any given company...
If you want to call that "un-biased" - be my guest... But I think it should be considered a much of an "opinion" source as mine is.
I have this knowledge from working in the biking and climbing industries where they sure managed to twist reality a couple of times and I'm sure they do that in diving as well...

Dane

Wetdane,

I know a way to make you $10,000 richer. Prove that Rodale's reviews are biased. Last I heard, they were offering a $10,000 reward for anyone who could do so. Just a thought. The reason you don't see every piece of gear that's available being reviewed is that some manufactors refuse to submit gear for review and Rodale's can't very well buy all the gear they review.

Bridge, looks like Rodales likes Aqua Lung, Dacor, Mares, Apeks(Zeagle), Scubapro and a couple others. Your original selection of the Viper Tec may be a good one. In this regard, some of the Rodale comments are a bit dated. The latest version of the Viper, the "America", has apparently solved or reduced the wet breathing problem. Don't write it off just yet.

I agree with their assessments. Differences would only amount to matters of taste. For example, sometimes they seem not to always like adjustable seconds. I like 'em but it wouldn't be an overriding factor in making a decision. Cost is important but there are good regulators out there which are "moderately" priced. I mean, no need to go for a titanium first stage. The lightness and balance of the second stage is important, however. I ramble on. Enjoy the site and don't worry that they're being "paid off" or something. They may have some conflicts of interest; I would be surprised if they were squeaky clean. However, if they were BS'n it would be very apparent, especially to a maverick like me(G).

Scuba-pro is the reg of choice up& down the East coast for tech diving.This is where a big percentage of the world's technical diving is done.Period.Others are acceptable,but can the founders of 3 technical certifying agencies be that wrong.The gear you use should also take into consideration the Team you are diving with.Many if not most tech divers dive with a group of like-minded divers to provide back-up and support.It is a community of tighly-knit groups.A lot of the info on the net will be made clear in your first class.Most of it will be wrong and some will be valuable.As someone who actually does this stuff regularly,I am amazed at the mis-conceptions and half-truths told.This is the only forum I visit for that reason.Get a good instructor and follow direction.Seeing something no-one else has is quite a reward for all the expended time& money.

"Agencies", yeh, uh huh. 100 days: what certifying groups are you talking about? I remember when some of them were whores for particular diving manufacturers. Some outfits, like the YMCA, were clean but NASDS was a captive of Scubapro. Their instructors had to push the brand. PADI was affiliated with USD. I bet their founders remember THAT.

Bridge, there is a rising consensus that you should not entertain expectations of becoming an instant "tech" diver. This doesn't mean you shouldn't pursue some aspects of technical diving such as NITROX instruction. However, advanced diving will have to wait its natural course of time; the certifying groups seem to have well defined rules for advanced levels and for good cause. Diving the Doria should be put off for a couple years anyway, maybe three?

Anyway, you have gotten a sense of what and who you will be dealing with. The selection of particular equipment may be as much sociological as technical.

Bridgenet, here's how I started out in "tech" diving. I asked myself the following questions:

Who are the ultimate "tech" divers in the world? (WKPP)
What kind kind of gear and philosophy do they use?
Why do they incorporate this gear and philosophy?
Can I incorporate this gear and philosophy into my diving?
If it's good enough for them, is it good enough for me?

Perhaps your answers will be different than mine, but that's how did it and continue to do it.

FWIW, that's my take on the subject.

Mike

Warhammer,

"Consumer Reports" does it without having any outside help. Surely Rodales in their mega buck empire could do the same thing.

How is John Doe Diver going to prove them wrong?

ID

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom