Headed for Destin!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Zinc,

Thanks for the link! TampaDiving.com is very informative. Morrison Springs is on our list as well.

Right now Guba and I are busy watching the weather reports. Currently things look good. The storm brewing in the Carib is projected to pass through mostly to the East of Florida by Thursday leaving us with a decent shot.

Thanks to everyone who has posted on here with the advice and comments. We really appreciate it.

-Brad

I know this is a dive trip, but If you get the chance, spend some time at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. The first time we went, even after about 3 hours there, my kids did not want to leave. It's a fascinating place.

I know this is a dive trip, but If you get the chance, spend some time at the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola. The first time we went, even after about 3 hours there, my kids did not want to leave. It's a fascinating place.

It's a great museum. 2-3 hours is the minimum. It'd really take several trips to see it all and read all the information about the planes.

it's a free museum and isn't supported with taxpayer dollars. Eat in the restaurant (set up like the officers club from the Philippines), it helps pay for the upkeep of the museum. Food is pretty good also.

The Pensacola Lighthouse is right near it. They schedule tours, but I'm not sure exactly when. Google for more info.

we went in July. Didn't dive, but had a great time. There was no oil

just saw your post its a busy week up here with "Thunder Road" weekend here in PCBEACH
Lots of Motorcycles every where very insane, bikes but its fun too.

just saw your post its a busy week up here with "Thunder Road" weekend here in PCBEACH
Lots of Motorcycles every where very insane, bikes but its fun too.

yeah.... we like to call the "Thunder Road" weeks down in PCB as "Organ Donor Week" because once everyone gets there, they quickly shed their helmets since Florida has no helmet law.... The add alcohol, and little "hot dogging", etc and it usually results in several accidents a year....

Bill and I made it there and back. Had a couple of great dives in the gulf, and fell in love with Morrison and Vortex springs. Next time we will have to plan more time to take in more stuff.

We didn't make it to the museum, but that would have been awesome.

Thanks again for everyone who posted on here with info for us!

Ditto to what Brad said. Thanks to all who posted advice and information for the trip. We had a blast!!! The diving was great and, thanks to our friends here in the swamp, we were treated to fascinating discoveries in a location new to us.

We also had a great time meeting new friends within the diving community. They were friendly, informative and fun to talk and dive with.

Finally, we got the chance to talk to the locals and get the "real" perspective on the effects of the oil spill on the area. Over and over again we heard the same story...the oil had practically no effect on them but the "reporting" of the NEWS MEDIA was DEVASTATING on their economy. The general concensus was that their local economy was very nearly crippled by incorrect news reports that oil was coming ashore and fouling their beautiful beaches. Sure, there were a few scattered tarballs, but it was virtually inconsequential compared to the huge scare tactics employed by the media outlets. Overall, the local population seems to be forgiving of BP...I'm not sure they'll be so inclined toward the news media.

It was a great trip...be sure to ask Brad about his (jelly fish) "war wounds"!

Thanks again, all.

Bill

Back
Top Bottom