Headaches=quitting Scuba

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Breathing to deeply is the most common one but I'm always the guy with the most air at the end of the dive.

Adding this to your comment about using your breath a lot for buoyancy control, and I'd be willing to bet good money that you are retaining CO2. It is known that some people are tolerant to elevated CO2 while diving -- I'm pretty sure I am one of them. When I do dives like some of the Florida caves, where there is significant exertion, I have come out on occasion with a pounding headache and major nausea, and it doesn't go away quickly. This is CO2, and it's not fun.

I'd recommend trying a couple of dives where you really think about your breathing, and make it deeper and get rid of most of the pause at end inhalation and end expiration. You can also do more adjusting of your buoyancy with your BC, making sure you only use your breath for a couple of seconds, at most. See if this solves the problem.

Adding this to your comment about using your breath a lot for buoyancy control, and I'd be willing to bet good money that you are retaining CO2. It is known that some people are tolerant to elevated CO2 while diving -- I'm pretty sure I am one of them. When I do dives like some of the Florida caves, where there is significant exertion, I have come out on occasion with a pounding headache and major nausea, and it doesn't go away quickly. This is CO2, and it's not fun.

I'd recommend trying a couple of dives where you really think about your breathing, and make it deeper and get rid of most of the pause at end inhalation and end expiration. You can also do more adjusting of your buoyancy with your BC, making sure you only use your breath for a couple of seconds, at most. See if this solves the problem.

I think you may have solved the problem, I'm quite a relaxed diver and I do pause at the end of every breath, I had no idea that this retained more CO2 I do feel that this is the smoking gun, I'm on the phone now to book the next dive!

Thanks everyone for you comments, I'll let you know how I get on...

I'd bet first on skip breathing and CO2 buildup. Other things that can cause headaches are cold water on your forehead and bad air. but since you are in the warm and no one else has the same complaint, smart money would go with skip breathing.

Another vote for CO2 buildup. I used to get terrible headaches after a dive.

I've changed a couple of things. I'm pretty relaxed when breathing at depth. But I make sure that I get a FULL exhalation. When I am ascending, which I do very slowly (I do deep stops on recreational dives), I make a point to have an almost exaggerated exhalation.

No more headaches for me. Hope it works for you too.

Oily, stick with it. I don't have any cure for you but I used to get headaches from diving and don't anymore (minus my last post). I think it is because my breathing has improved but I'd struggle to categorically identify what exactly. Stick with it, you'll get through it and be fine.... it's worth it.

J

If your healthy with no signs of congestion. a cold allergies min grade, stress. Consult a scuba diving physician in the area. A check up is highly recommended. That's the first step than take it from there. See what the physicians diagnoses is. Please keep me posted.

Have a great time!!!

I'm no doctor, but if you crush st josephs baby asprin in a bottle of orange juice and take a few shots while down there it will hydrate and if anything add that great candy taste to it, but ya never know might fight off co2.

Happy Diving

I vote CO2 too. My son prides himself on a great SAC rate and skip breathes. He often complains of headaches when diving air. I have tried to get him to consider a normal breathing pattern, but he is hardheaded. He likes to outlast everyone.

We are in Bonaire now and the first day we did two dives on air - headache, yeterday four dives on NITROX - no headache. My theory is the higher O2 concentration helps with the CO2 buildup.

I could be all wrong with my theory, but you should try to change your breathing and give NITROX a try.

While I'm no way and expert on diving or medicine for me, I'll get headaches more often when I'm dehydrated and/or going through air faster than normal. I've had dives when poor breathing rate lead to headaches and others where my breathing is fine (even better than normal) but slightly dehydrated. If I keep both things under control (when diving in Mexico I was consuming 4-5 litres of water a day) then everything is fine. Your mileage will most likely vary.

Back
Top Bottom