Headaches and Shoulder Aches - exertion or DCI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sockeye02

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Getting quite worried after reading about DCS!
I've done maybe 20+ dives, usually do 1 trip a year with little exercise regularly.
After most of my dives, especially the ones where fighting current or rough seas feature, I'd get a throbbing headache over my forehead. I'd also frequently get very sore shoulders (both sides) that feel better when crossing my arms across the chest and are painful enough to prevent sleep unless I take an analgesic. The same shoulder pain happened to me one pool session where there was some rigorous training going on (rescue scenarios with struggling instructor)
The headache tends to go away after an hour or so on land while the shoulder aches take about 2-3 days to fully go away.
As a rule I'm using a Suunto Mosquito set conservatively and seldom make excursions beyond 90fsw. I do tend to be an air hog though and generally surface with less air than others in my dive group
Do you folks think this might be DCS or just plain old muscle strain due exertion to after sitting on my bum for most of the year? :)
Thanks!

(pending a more qualified medical opinion on this thread)

If the pain was bi-lateral (both sides) then it is unlikely to be DCS.

It sounds to me that the strain of carrying a loaded bcd, climbing boat ladders etc, is a much more likely culprit.

Hi it might be an idea to do a light exercise routine before you go on your annual dive trip, it would make it more enjoyable. Your are lugging around an awful lot of gear when your not in the water. Also are you breathing deeply or skip breathing leading to CO2 retention and a humdinger of a headache. I am very lucky and get to dive regularly, but I have just started to dive dry and I have managed to pull a shoulder muscle just trying to zip up my drysuit. Its now by buddies job to do that!

The fact that you got the same symptoms from a pool session argues against DCS, although without seeing your profiles, it's hard to say anything for sure. But certainly diving, especially when you are not doing it regularly and becoming accustomed to it, is hard on the shoulders.

I think sorting out aches and pains can be a real challenge for a new or less active diver. I know that, when I started diving, I had some nights of pretty intense pain in my trapezius muscles (the ones that run from the base of the neck out to the shoulders, and down the back). One particular night, when we had done some ascent work, I actually got pretty nervous about DCS, but it was only the same muscle pain, just more intense than usual.

The headache goes along with your statement that you use gas faster than others -- It suggests that you are using an inefficient breathing pattern (too rapid and shallow) which is inefficient ventilation. It uses gas quickly, and allows carbon dioxide to build up in the bloodstream, and CO2 causes headaches. The fact that the headache resolves quickly goes along with this, too. To address the issue, you need to lower your exertion level (become more efficient in the water) and make your breathing more like yoga breathing -- slow and deep and regular.

CO2 buildup, possibly dehydration and unusual movements sounds likely to me.. But im not a doctor!

I've got to wonder about your age, size, and how much of a lard ass you are? ...just plain old muscle strain due exertion to after sitting on my bum for most of the year tends to suggest you're participating in an adventure sport without physical preparation, and if you're smaller and/or older, this would add to it.

Better to question than deny tho. :thumb:
The headache goes along with your statement that you use gas faster than others -- It suggests that you are using an inefficient breathing pattern (too rapid and shallow) which is inefficient ventilation. It uses gas quickly, and allows carbon dioxide to build up in the bloodstream, and CO2 causes headaches. The fact that the headache resolves quickly goes along with this, too. To address the issue, you need to lower your exertion level (become more efficient in the water) and make your breathing more like yoga breathing -- slow and deep and regular.
Yep, but then TSandM probly has a perfect record here. If she says it, it's probly true. :wink:
CO2 buildup, possibly dehydration and unusual movements sounds likely to me.. But im not a doctor!
Where did you get dehydration? A common problem often associated with others true, but I didn't see any indication here...?

Headaches is common from dehydration and can go away fairly quickly when you get back onto the water bottles..

Headaches is common from dehydration and can go away fairly quickly when you get back onto the water bottles..
Thanks. I work at hydrating so never experienced that I guess.

Hello sockeye02:

1. CO2 retention is one possible cause of those headaches. Deep breaths will help with this problem.

2. Exhausting gas from your tanks does not mean that the nitrogen has gone into the blood stream and then the tissue. Little nitrogen is taken from the gas supply, even after hours and at saturation. Being a “gas hog” in and by itself does not mean DCS prone.

3. The painful shoulders as you describe them probably have their origin in the weight of the tanks pressing on your shoulders.

4. Getting in better physical shape is always of value, and not just for diving. It is not good to be a lard – - well, so sedentary.

Dr Deco :doctor:

Hey, thanks for all your replies!

I've got to wonder about your age, size, and how much of a lard ass you are?

Let's just say I'm in my early 30s and have a BMI of 25.2. Sub-optimal, I know, but not grossly..... elevated :) Still able to run 2 miles without collapsing
Besides, in this part of the world, stuff made with lard tastes really good.... Sigh, if not for the LDL........

To address the issue, you need to lower your exertion level (become more efficient in the water) and make your breathing more like yoga breathing -- slow and deep and regular.

You mean get physically fit? :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom