HDV to SD conversion

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sharksdelight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
This came up in conversations last week in the Socorros and I thought I would put it out there. If you are shooting in HDV but want to make an SD sequence from it..what is best?
1) Edit in HDV and copy and paste it into a new SD sequence
or
2)Log and Capture your HDV footage directly into an SD sequence.
If #2, what U.S.A settings would you use? 720x480?

I have been editing in HDV and just creating a new SD sequence on the Mac but, heck, maybe I can learn something new.
Steve :14:

I don't know what a "sequence" is but I keep everything in HDV as long as possible including color correction, sharpening, de-interlacing, etc. And then render to whatever format I want at the VERY end.

As for output size, that depends on what you are trying to do. If you are cutting a DVD then yes, outputting a 720x480 makes sense. Or you can output to NTSC Widescreen format which is a ratio of 1.77:1. Just a bit off from the 1.85.1 Academy format. If I was producing for web output then I'd output in the framesize of my source or some clean fraction of it (1/2, 1/3, 1/4).

If you are shooting a progressive format, leave it progressive. The DVD player will add the necessary pulldown. Anyone with a progressive DVD player and TV will thank you.

Best of luck.

Likewise here. I capture in HDV and render AVI segments in 720x480 for cable broadcast and 1080i mpegs for archiving.

DrBill, do you crop (Pan and Scan) your video for broadcast, or just let it letterbox?

I don't know what a "sequence" is but I keep everything in HDV as long as possible including color correction, sharpening, de-interlacing, etc. And then render to whatever format I want at the VERY end.

Best of luck.

Same here. I have noticed that I can push the HDV footage around a lot more before it breaks compared to DV. *However* I haven't attempted the same color manipulations on a simple resized HDV->SD-resolution footage (or Sequence in Final Cut terms)

However, I only use Final Cut Express so I dont have all of the options that the full Final cut gives ...

PerroneFord... I just use it letterboxed for the public access TV series. I haven't decided what I want to do with the HDV footage to be included in my commercial TV series... but I'll have to soon as I'm editing the first seven episodes in the next month or two.

Hey Steve I'll just reiterate what everyone has already stated. It's best to work with HDV footage in it's original format. I rag on HDV a lot because it's a very problematic format along with 720. So, with that in mind the less changes you make to it the better. I'd only mess with it in the very end when you do your final export. I know you're a FCP guy and suggest using Compressor or Cleaner for streaming video. I'm not sure if you're on Studio 2 or not but they've added a lot more apple codecs including HDDVD support. The future is here my friend and apple is paving the way. Sorry PC users, maybe in a year or two you guys will have something that can handle editing SD footage properly. If you've ever used FCP you wouldn't take offense to that and you'd understand what you're missing out on. :D

Billy

Billy

I'm not sure if you're on Studio 2 or not but they've added a lot more apple codecs including HDDVD support. The future is here my friend and apple is paving the way. Sorry PC users, maybe in a year or two you guys will have something that can handle editing SD footage properly. If you've ever used FCP you wouldn't take offense to that you'd understand what you're missing out on. :D

Billy

Could you elaborate a bit on this? Exactly what are we unwashed masses missing out on that we might have in a couple of years?

Could you elaborate a bit on this? Exactly what are we unwashed masses missing out on that we might have in a couple of years?

I was a PC guy for a really long time, way back to the DOS days. I remember when Windows 3.14 was the hot new thing, but times have changed and I'll never go back to a PC by choice. The apple mindset goes hand and had with FCP. The concept of forward thinking.

FCP is really at the forefront of Desktop editing. They consistently release updates for cameras and formats before any other editing platforms. It's almost always done before those cameras and players physically hit the market too. I remember we had P2 and XDCAM compatibility 6 months before the cameras were even available. The best part is everything works and it works extremely well. Just the speed of the program alone is worth it, plus the GUI(graphical user interface) is very easy to use and navigate around. I picked it up with no editing experience at all and this was about 8 years ago. The tools work well and the hot keys make sense. There is usually multiple ways to accomplish the same task which means that you can customize your habits. For instance if you like to drag and drop you clips to insert the in the timeline you can, if you like to use a hot key you can, if you like to mar ins and out and trim them you can, etc. etc. It's just a very logical and flexibe program. Anyone can pick it up very fast, so to be redundant it has a very shallow learning curve but the program has much depth to it.

I've been a Final Cut Pro user since version 2 and it's come a long way. You used to have to buy all of the programs separately but they come bundled which is great.

Compressor is probably the best exporting program out these with tons and tons of options for different outputs and is very easy to use.
DVD Studio Pro is an amazing DVD authoring program that can be setup for someone who has no idea what they're doing or a seasoned veteran with complex menus.
Motion is not something I use because I'd rather work with Shake or After Affects for compositing. From what I understad you can work in 3D with it now and a lot of people swear by it. I've also heard that some post production facilities are starting to use it.
LiveType is a really great cookie cutter titleing program.
Soundtrack Pro is light years ahead of anything else at the same pricepoint for scoring a film and it comes with loads of media.
Cinema Tools is also another great tool if you going from real 35mm film and offline editing and maybe back to a film out which none of us are for u/w. But it can also be used when needing do some 24p pulldown reverse telecine tricks.

Most of these programs come with tons of templates and media. You really have to get down and dirty to really understand why Final Cut Studio users swear by these programs, it's not just me. There is no way you'll be able to find everything that Final Cut Studio does for PC, it's just not available unless you invest into a full blown $200K Avid Symphony Nitrous setup, and I'd still rather use FCP.

Billy

FCP is certainly a killer app for the Mac. No doubt. However, I can do just about as much in Vegas though I won't say it's as easy. The Achilles heel of Vegas is camera support, but since nearly everyone is shooting Sony underwater, it's a no brainer.

I can export in several dozen formats.
I can drag and drop just about ANY format onto the editing timeline.
It has a nice titling program
It has a very good sound creation program
It does native 24p in and out, native progressive, I can edit HDV (in both flavors) without an intermeddiate codec, and I can push out for BluRay.

Pretty much everything I needed for $499. And annual updates are $99. Less if you don't need real media and manuals shipped.

If someone was starting from scratch and needed hardware and software to make movies, I'd recommend FCP. But for someone who owns PC hardware, there is no way I'd recommend the scrap it and get a Mac to run FCP. It may be better, but in my opinion, not better enough to spend the cost of a VTR to switch.

And those darn Mac hardware upgrades are still an issue to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom