Hc1 Or Hc7?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

paulpost

Contributor
Reaction score
Hi, I've decided to buy a new housing. I have both HC1 and HC7 camcorders and I cannot decide which one to use for underwater.
Any suggestions?
Thanks,
Paul

Paul,

If I remember correctly, Light & Motion is planning to release a housing that will be adaptable for different Sony HD camcorders. If my memory is correct, you may be able to get a housing that will take either camcorder. Now THAT makes sense!

I use the Top Dawg with my HC-7. I've been a strong supporter of the Top Dawgs in the past (using my two with 5 different Sony camcorders successfully), but must admit it MAY not be the housing for a high def camcorder (depending on what you use the video for).

Dr Bill is correct. Light & Motion is releasing their new Stingray HD housing which will fit a variety of cameras, as does the Top Dawg. The new Stingray HD will have a standard camera tray and than an additional top tray which will be more camera specific.

The housing with the 3.5" HD monitor back is scheduled to ship to dealers this week. It retails for $1899 with the monitor and appropriate tray.

Some of the other specs on the new Stingray HD:
Stingray HD Underwater Housing for Sony HC7, HC5, SR8, SR7, SR5C, SR5, SR1, UX7, UX5 and UX1
Constructed from industrial grade anodized aluminum
Multi-Camera adaptor tray accommodates most Sony HD Camcorders
Forward compatible to new Sony HD Camcorders
3.5" Monitor Back LCD
Bluewater flip-down color correcting filter
Underwater Microphone
Easy load self-locking camera tray
Smart Grip Handles uses an Infrared signal that transmits right through the housing to talk to the camcorder's infrared receiver
Audible & Visual Moisture Alarm
Housing controls:
Power On/Off
Record/Standby
Zoom — Telephoto and Wide-Angle
Auto-Focus On/Off
Auto-Focus Lock
Momentary Auto Focus
Video/Photo Mode
Manual Focus— Far/Near
Size: 9.5" L x 7.2" W x 6" H
Depth Rated to 300 feet
Buy Light & Motion Stingray HD for Sony High Definition Cameras 860-0110 with reviews at scuba.com

I use the Top Dawg with my HC-7. I've been a strong supporter of the Top Dawgs in the past (using my two with 5 different Sony camcorders successfully), but must admit it MAY not be the housing for a high def camcorder (depending on what you use the video for).

Can you elaborate on this? I'm really just learning all I can now about video so I appreciate the help.

Miranda

Can you elaborate on this? I'm really just learning all I can now about video so I appreciate the help.

Miranda

On a recent shark dive, I was filming with my HC-7 in my Top Dawg housing and our DM was filming with a mini-DV cam in an Ocean Images housing. His footage was much sharper than mine. I'm attributing it to the acrylic front port in the Top Dawg housing vs the glass port in his. However there may be other factors... I have not compared his f-stop or shutter speed with mine. We were filming mostly at a depth of 15-30 ft so there should have been plenty of light for both camcorders.

Mike... I'm wondering how L&M can guarantee that the new Stingray housing will be forward compatible with future Sony camcorders?

On a recent shark dive, I was filming with my HC-7 in my Top Dawg housing and our DM was filming with a mini-DV cam in an Ocean Images housing. His footage was much sharper than mine. I'm attributing it to the acrylic front port in the Top Dawg housing vs the glass port in his. However there may be other factors... I have not compared his f-stop or shutter speed with mine. We were filming mostly at a depth of 15-30 ft so there should have been plenty of light for both camcorders.

As much as I hate HDV the fact is that it's still a higher resolution image and it's close to impossible to focus a higher resolution image without a display that's showing that same resolution. Basically, you cannot focus a pixel unless you can see it. It may look in focus on a 2.5" or 3.5" monitor but chances are it's not and there is no way of telling without the proper monitor. That's why I'm in the process of putting a 5" LCD in my housing before I take it down for the first time, It still wont be pixel for pixel but it will be a lot closer than the 2.5" LCD Equinox offers and a little bit cheaper, but not everyone has the resources to do it. Photos and process explanation to come very soon.

Does this make sense or does it seem correct?

Billy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom