hawaii

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ehatch

Reaction score
Hi guys... I've been reading this board for awhile, but I just finally joined. I am heading to Hawaii in 2 weeks, and I would love to find out some great spots to dive and some great dive companies to go with. We are going to both Maui and Kuai, so any helpful info would be great... Thanks,

Erin

Welcome to the boards!

I don't know anything about diving in Hawaii, but you could post in the North America forum. I'm sure someone there will have an answer for you :)

Have a good time!!

On Kauai, I would highly recommend Bubbles Below. Linda Marsh and her staff do a great job!

But you should definitely call ahead and book now. She fills up early.

The south will most likely be pumping so many south exporsure beaches won't be so good. But check at a dive shop, they'll be honest about that stuff.

If you're doing shore dives then go up by Honolua or Slaughterhouse. They should be protected. If you're an advanced diver you can do Maliko which should be great.

But you have to do Molokini's backwall. You just have to. I suggest going out with B&B Scuba out of Kihei in the Azeka Plaza. They are reasonably priced but are very professional and will work hard to get you the best diving available that day.

Do Molokini.

ehatch once bubbled...
We are going to both Maui and Kuai, so any helpful info would be great...

On Kauai I would recomend not going on boat dives. We never saw anything on a boat dive there that we couldn't see on a shore dive. And at $100 for a 2 tank dive it's just not worth it to take the boat.

At Koloa landing there are big turtles that just hang out right at the entrance. The best dive, by far, is Tunnles beach on the north side. You have to keep an eye on the weather cause it's either a great surf spot or a great dive spot but not both so dive it the first chance you get when the weather is right.

One boat dive I do recomend is the Niihau trip. It's pricey, ~$250 for 3 tanks, and is a 2-2.5 hour trip one way depending on where your shop's dock is, but is is an incredible trip.

Be warned. If you are used to diving the Caribean you will find the reefs in Hawaii to be rather drab colorwise.

James

Al Mialkovsky once bubbled...
The south will most likely be pumping so many south exporsure beaches won't be so good.

What does "pumping" mean. I feel like an foreigner sometimes...but that's what I get for living such a sheltered life.

I've found that one of the best things about staying in Maui is diving at Lana'i (I think it was about 90 minutes out of the Maalaea boat harbor). Several of the dive operators go out there and I don't think you will get a bad trip from any of them. I've used Maui Dive Shop, but will be trying Horizons in September because they are based out of Lahaina and the boat trip should be shorter. Enjoy

cougar once bubbled...

What does "pumping" mean. I feel like an foreigner sometimes...but that's what I get for living such a sheltered life.
Well pumping is more a surfers term. The waves will be up then. Or they should be up which wipes out many good southern shore dives. But you just change sides of the island, not a big deal. In the winter those northern exposed beaches are wiped out from the pumping surf :wink:

Back
Top Bottom