Hawaii - Suggestions anyone...?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The ironic thing is that I think lonebrave is doing a fundies class with an Island Divers associated instructor. I had to bow out on the May course, btw LB, because $600 and 4 days in the middle of the week to work on the basics would be great, but isn't in the cards right now. I hear Jo is awesome though, I hope it's a great time.

I am not a P.I. however I do have a Magnun P.I. aloha shirt that looks badass btw just need to get a corvette...

From post #25
im a full time DlCK
or as they say now a private eye
I guess you were just saying you're a dick.

From post #32
trust me I'm a private eye
oh, wait, I misread that, apparently you were a PI until today because now you claim not to be...
I am not a P.I. however I do have a Magnun P.I. aloha shirt that looks badass btw just need to get a corvette...
If you failed at seeing how kamana divers has anything to do with the reviews posted on this forum than I am guessing you fail quite frequently. Owner of kamana divers Gabescotti pushes advertising on scubaboard to promote his business by writing fake replays with fake accounts and constantly pushing his services.

If you really think we're fake accounts, talk to the admins. I'm pretty sure the TOS prohibits that. I'm also pretty sure that you'll claim they're on Gabe's side, but why would they be giving preferential treatment to someone who doesn't even have paid advertising on their site?

I don't see the owner of Honolulu Scuba company doing this? wheres all his guys?
Where is the owner of Oahu Diving?
Island Divers? what happened to you guys? you don't like to do scubaboard anymore?
I guess thats why u never see anyone referring them? I can't understand why since they have nice shops that sell gear, offer transportation, have big boats...
with kamana.. I have now see the way guys..I totally see now why people will choose you guys with a storage locker in that back of marukai that doesn't offer transportation and has the same prices as the big shops!! you guys are awesome thats why...
no logical reasons why.. there just awesome sooo if you don't understand than thats your problem I guess your just not cool! because all the real cool guys like to take a bus from waikiki to jam on a little small board with the king gabe scotti

Maybe they have enough of a customer base that they don't need to market themselves via SB, Twitter, Facebook, Google+, and other modern social media sites. I'm not sure what Gabe's current policy is on pickups, but I've been on a more than a few dives with KD where the DMs were out long before the report time at the dock picking up customers from their hotels.

---------- Post added March 1st, 2013 at 02:43 PM ----------

The ironic thing is that I think lonebrave is doing a fundies class with an Island Divers associated instructor. I had to bow out on the May course, btw LB, because $600 and 4 days in the middle of the week to work on the basics would be great, but isn't in the cards right now. I hear Jo is awesome though, I hope it's a great time.

That is true. I'm taking GUE Fundamentals with Jo Hjelm, an ISLAND DIVERS instructor, 1-4 May 2013.

It's a shame you had to drop the course in may, Dr. Lector. It was tough getting the time off approved at work, so I understand that. I'm looking forward to it, but pretty sure it's going to be tough when it comes to how perfect I'm expected to be with all the skills.

Last edited:
I guess thats why u never see anyone referring them? I can't understand why since they have nice shops that sell gear, offer transportation, have big boats... all the real cool guys like to take a bus from waikiki to jam on a little small board with the king gabe scotti

Back when I wasn't living on Oahu, both KD and Island Divers would always come pick me up; the ease with which that was arranged varied.

Gabe or Drew would just come get me and drop me off, no questions asked, regardless of whether I was diving West side, East side, or Town side... most times, we'd then go pick up others from Waikiki. Easy and pleasant.

When Nate was driving that rattletrap of a van ID used, it was easy and pleasant. Other times, I got a ton of attitude from someone working the ID counter who snottily informed me that it was up to each day's DM whether to drive the few blocks away from the Ala Moana Hotel to pick up/drop off a customer who was lugging a full set of gear including softweights and pony tank, and that not all DMs liked to waste their time and couldn't I just walk my lazy ass over to their pick up point. :censored: you, too, man.

Boats? Well, worst one I was ever on was the tiny, smelly, back roll only POS Reef Pirates ran out of Hawaii Kai. Best one was Ocean Concepts nice huge one out of Waianae with the awesome hot fresh water shower on the back.

ID's boats have been nice enough and I like the hot towels thing they do... but at the end of the day, it's a dive boat, like most others here in Hawaii. Though there was the time we had to wait an hour in Hawaii Kai while they tried to fix something on the Sea Fox, then loaded up the shop truck with all our gear to drive to Honolulu to dive off another boat they grabbed, then someone tried to talk us into waiting longer in Hawaii Kai because dude how much is it going to cost in gas to drive all the way there and back for this regular charter?!... we told them to sod off and execute on the plan with driving to Kewalo Basin since we were pissed off from waiting and loading the truck for them. Warrick even made sure to badger ID the rest of the week until they gave us free tshirts. Good times... but there's hardly anything magical about their boats, and their attitude is more bottom-line oriented and less flexible than KD.

KD's standard boat is Kilikina, a nice jet boat out of Honolulu that usually just has KD on it and probably fewer than 10 people on a boat rated for 16 divers. Lots of room, fast, side and back entry points, fresh water shower of generally questionable warmth, stinky head. Smells of bio-diesel, which can occasionally make you hungry. It's a nice dive boat, but it's still a dive boat... just like almost every other dive boat on the island.

Shop-wise... if I need a piece of gear, KD's dive shop is likely not the place to go. Unless it's a compass, smb, or some other things. Then again, I don't like buying gear at Oahu shops: ID carries Halcyon, and I like Halcyon, but Halcyon is expensive enough without ID's insane markup. So I guess I'm not really seeing your point in terms of 'well, don't they have more stuff enquiring divers might need!?'

Anyway, all you've managed to do is cause a number of people who actually live and dive here to explain in detail why, on balance, KD is what we suggest for many people coming to Oahu, and highlight a few negative aspects with some other places we may generally like but wouldn't suggest unless someone said they were (staying in Hawaii Kai or whatever). Hope that was your aim.

:shakehead: how could I mess up on a thing like that :idk:
But he drove a Ferrari. (Not his, of course.)

---------- Post added March 1st, 2013 at 08:31 PM ----------

HONOLULU SCUBA COMPANY???
Why does noone talk about them?
They have a good shop located a few blocks from there boat.. isn't there boat neext to kammandivers?? no input about them?
So I know all the post are fake because I have referenced honolulu scuba company twice and neither one of you kamnnadivers cronis seem to mention it.
Back when I wasn't living on Oahu, both KD and Island Divers would always come pick me up; the ease with which that was arranged varied.

Gabe or Drew would just come get me and drop me off, no questions asked, regardless of whether I was diving West side, East side, or Town side... most times, we'd then go pick up others from Waikiki. Easy and pleasant.

When Nate was driving that rattletrap of a van ID used, it was easy and pleasant. Other times, I got a ton of attitude from someone working the ID counter who snottily informed me that it was up to each day's DM whether to drive the few blocks away from the Ala Moana Hotel to pick up/drop off a customer who was lugging a full set of gear including softweights and pony tank, and that not all DMs liked to waste their time and couldn't I just walk my lazy ass over to their pick up point. :censored: you, too, man.

Boats? Well, worst one I was ever on was the tiny, smelly, back roll only POS Reef Pirates ran out of Hawaii Kai. Best one was Ocean Concepts nice huge one out of Waianae with the awesome hot fresh water shower on the back.

ID's boats have been nice enough and I like the hot towels thing they do... but at the end of the day, it's a dive boat, like most others here in Hawaii. Though there was the time we had to wait an hour in Hawaii Kai while they tried to fix something on the Sea Fox, then loaded up the shop truck with all our gear to drive to Honolulu to dive off another boat they grabbed, then someone tried to talk us into waiting longer in Hawaii Kai because dude how much is it going to cost in gas to drive all the way there and back for this regular charter?!... we told them to sod off and execute on the plan with driving to Kewalo Basin since we were pissed off from waiting and loading the truck for them. Warrick even made sure to badger ID the rest of the week until they gave us free tshirts. Good times... but there's hardly anything magical about their boats, and their attitude is more bottom-line oriented and less flexible than KD.

KD's standard boat is Kilikina, a nice jet boat out of Honolulu that usually just has KD on it and probably fewer than 10 people on a boat rated for 16 divers. Lots of room, fast, side and back entry points, fresh water shower of generally questionable warmth, stinky head. Smells of bio-diesel, which can occasionally make you hungry. It's a nice dive boat, but it's still a dive boat... just like almost every other dive boat on the island.

Shop-wise... if I need a piece of gear, KD's dive shop is likely not the place to go. Unless it's a compass, smb, or some other things. Then again, I don't like buying gear at Oahu shops: ID carries Halcyon, and I like Halcyon, but Halcyon is expensive enough without ID's insane markup. So I guess I'm not really seeing your point in terms of 'well, don't they have more stuff enquiring divers might need!?'

Anyway, all you've managed to do is cause a number of people who actually live and dive here to explain in detail why, on balance, KD is what we suggest for many people coming to Oahu, and highlight a few negative aspects with some other places we may generally like but wouldn't suggest unless someone said they were (staying in Hawaii Kai or whatever). Hope that was your aim.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no idea who Big Mac is or what Honolulu Scuba is. Where do they go, what do they cost, how many on their trips, etc.? If you're wondering why nobody mentions them... maybe you should start?

HONOLULU SCUBA COMPANY???
Why does noone talk about them?
They have a good shop located a few blocks from there boat.. isn't there boat neext to kammandivers?? no input about them?
O yeah because if gabe from kammana divers would say anything about big mac from honolulu scuba he might get his duck beak slapped backwards like donald duck...
So I know all the post are fake because I have referenced honolulu scuba company twice and neither one of you kamnnadivers cronis seem to mention it.

Honolulu Scuba Co...I think I've stopped at their shop one time when I was considering a switch to nearly always diving EAN. I stopped in or called about 12 shops on island asking about EAN availability, costs, fill methods, etc, trying to figure out if it was cost effective, or necessary, for me to get my tanks O2 cleaned. If I am recalling correctly, they danced around a simple question about how they fill nitrox (PP, banked, continuous blending) before finally telling me that have a stick in back they continuously fill with. That one conversation, along with their price for a nitrox fill and their location (not convenient for me, as I live outside of Honolulu), was enough for me to decide I didn't want to use them for my fills.

I'm pretty sure I've been on their boat one time. There was at least one other company on board with customers, but the DM was a royal ass the entire time, telling rather inappropriate jokes and stories, including making fun of his own customers, nearly the entire time we were above water. I know that shouldn't be a reflection on Honolulu Scuba Co. I'm not holding anything against Honolulu Scuba Co for that, but I've been on other boats that I liked better.

I don't think I've been on Ocean Concepts boat that Dr. Lector loves, but I'll probably give it a shot now that Dive Oahu owns it, since I do get discounted boat dives with them for being a club member.

And yet again...:wink:

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Some content has been edited

I have great things to say about all operators mentioned on this thread so far. You want my 2 cents, here we go:

IDH: Solid operation with multiple boats, great tech gear and Jo's a GOD. Outstanding location in Hawaii Kai....
Dive Oahu: Large Dive Club presence and multiple retail locations.....
Pearl Harbor Divers: Good owner, good selection of gear and multiple training agencies.
Honolulu Scuba Company: Solid dive boat, well stocked shop, morning and afternoon 2 tankers.
Reef Pirates: Smaller boat, good instructors and overall laid back group.

I know what we are and what we stand for. I bust 80 hours a week to make sure our customers have an insanely awesome time while we are here. I do NOT pretend to have all the answers and be a crazy huge dive operation (never want to be). I LOVE our Club Divers, Customers and Staff. If I didn't I wouldn't still do it..... Again, drop by sometime. Pau Hana is generally around 4pm.

I dove with Kaimana over twenty times while I was out there on my trip. This thread wasn't intended to be a company bashing thread as it should never be because people are entitled to their own opinions. The O.P. simply asked what company people thought they would have a good experience. Did it ever occur that people recommend Kaimana so highly because they had an amazing trip and experience while diving with them and wish that same experience to other people? When I was planning my trip to Oahu I read what everybody had to say and felt as though I made the right choice by choosing Kaimana. Apparently you feel that everyone that posts and recommends Kaimana must be on Gabe's payroll... If that is the case then Kaimana has employees all over the world and must be doing quite well to be able to pay all the people that just genuinely had a good time with them and recommend them (not advertise for them).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom