Hawai'i here we come

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wow, so much good information. I just love these boards and SB has been good to us over the years, that's for sure.

We will be in touch and updating the thread as we go so just keep the information coming.

Thanks

KrisB is a part time Maui resident who instructs and guides just for tips. No mater whether the reasons for this financial arrangement are due Kris's lack of required Maui County Commercial Business permits, a lack of green card &/or his generous philanthropic nature, to say he is one of the 2 best choices for Maui shore diving is uninformed at the very least.

It's funny, Steve -- the people that I've worked with who have been diving with other operators on Maui seem to appreciate the fact that I'm not nickel & diming them when they take a little longer to get the skills figured out, or if there's rescheduling necessary.

Just to clarify a further note -- commercial beach permits haven't been issued to new applicants for several years. If they were available, I may pursue that option...

A couple things to consider when choosing a dive guide / instructor is the difference between business insurance and instructor insurance as well as the availability (or lack) of a shop full of gear and repair facilities. When you dive with a legitimate business, the business insurance would cover accidents before you get in the water. With an independent instructor the coverage is only in water.

I think you'd better take another look at that and maybe not take your insurance agent's word for it as he tries to sell you more insurance than you need. My instructor insurance covers me when I am conducting dive activities or training -- that means, when we are sitting in a room doing CPR training, I'm insured. When we're sitting at Starbucks filling out paperwork... I'm covered.

Of course, the only time this is an issue is if I am negligent or cause injury -- something I strive (and so far have succeeded) to avoid.

As for equipment availability -- the bottom line is that I have access to higher-quality gear for reasonable rental prices than most shops on Maui will offer. Furthermore, when it comes to rentals, you're only renting what you need -- you're not paying an "all inclusive" price when you have all your own gear if you don't need it.

Kris is not a bad guy, and not a bad instructor, but the main reason I see for his popularity is that his services are free.

That's funny, Steve. While it may get some attention, the bottom line is that people seem to leave a larger gratuity to me AFTER THE FACT AND OF THEIR OWN CHOICE, than they would have paid up-front to many of the operators on the island.

Maybe it's the fact that I care more about the diver and the dive than the money. I can't attest to their motivation.

Ultimately, the diver gets to set the price and value the services how they see fit. And apparently, they value *my* services more than the rate-card base operators.

In our current economic situation, I really feel divers need to support the legitimate dive operators.

To call the guiding & training I do illegitimate is short-sighted, Steve. The bottom line is that any money that is paid to me, or saved by not having to pay me, is more likely to go directly into the local economy than many operators that are paying leases on property or boats, etc.

Hi.

Oh, I would love to return to Maui.
I spent there wonderful three months - just diving and surfing. Wonderful. During that time I was always diving with Maui Dive Shop crew. Nice guys indeed. I have to say that I cannot talk about scuba diving itself because I was freediving all the time, but anyway, all other scuba divers were happy and smiling, so maybe you can think also about this dive operator.
If there is a chance that you will also freedive, then I have a recommendation / don't go with snorkel tours because they stay on the spots shorter time that scuba tours so tank dive tour is your option anytime. They will let you dive around the boat while others do their scuba dive. (I don't have to tell you about diving with buddy, do I?) :wink:

Enjoy your stay in paradise.

Aloha \nnn/ shaka

KrisB, I will look you up when we hit the island if you think you will be there during those dates.

sheepeck, thanks for the information. We don't free dive but we will check out the Maui Dive Shop Crew for sure. Thanks.

KrisB, I will look you up when we hit the island if you think you will be there during those dates.

sheepeck, thanks for the information. We don't free dive but we will check out the Maui Dive Shop Crew for sure. Thanks.
There's a strong possibility I will be. I'd love to go diving with you!

I agree with Halemano. I have been diving in Maui for nearly 30 years, ( I visit usually once or twice each year, twice if I can) and have been with Extended Horizons numerous times. They are great. Another good choice, especially for shore diving is Pacific Dive on Dickenson Street in Lahaina. Their equipment is good if you need any rental gear and they are the most reliable if you need or want nitrox for your dives.

If you are staying is South Maui, (or if you feel like an early morning drive from the north) I highly recommend Mike Severns diving. Pauline Severns, (Mike's better half) is absolutely the best on Maui. She is a marine biologist and you will learn things about the marine life that no one else will teach you. She and Mike have written a book on the marine life in the Hawaiian Islands and it's excellent, and Ed Robinson has also written a great book on Hawaiian Island marine life and diving. I recommend reading these before you go, it will improve your dive experience.

I have not done as much diving on the Big Island, but I have been with Dive Makai several times and they also are excellent.

Many people think that diving in Hawaii is marginal. I couldn't disagree more. The only place I enjoy more is the Galapagos Islands.

Good luck and enjoy.

I have removed my previous post by editing. I apologize to the OP for temporarily hijacking his thread. After further thought I realized that posting my concerns regarding a member of my profession and community who is so unconcerned with the negative impact of his actions was not helpful to the OP and would not result in any positive reflection on the part of my target audience. I apologize to the Hawaii O'hana for the negativity as well.

Happy diving to all!

Last edited:
My wife (Clear Blue) and I are heading to the islands for our 10th anniversary. We have set aside a block of time in 2009, 18 Oct - 7 Nov. (three weeks). Some of this is travel time of course and exact dates for being on the islands may shift somewhat when we nail down accommodations. I'll keep you posted.

We plan to stay a week in Maui and a week on the big island. We are interested in shore diving as much as possible, the manta ray night dive and a couple luaus along the way.

We will also be traveling with a couple friends (a group of 4 all together). Would any of you Hawaii divers want to dive with us while we are there? We love meeting and diving with board members. We have made a lot of friends from the boards over the years. We love SB Invasions.

Anyway, any and all recommendations are welcome and appreciated whether it regards diving, lodging, dining, charters, best luaus or whatever.

We just love to travel and meet folks. This is our first trip to the islands so we have a lot of planning to do before Oct. A good problem to have but an enormous undertaking.

You guys will have a great deal of fun. On Maui shore diving can be done at a number of locations. My recommendation is pick up a dive guide at Maui Divers. One great place to dive is Mekena Landing in Mekena Town. You will dive with the Giant Sea Turtles. Another good spot is Black Rock Point, it's on the map. Watch the currents, so stay low next to the bottom. This is also a great night dive location.
For the money go out with Ed Robinson Dive Charters. Dive the Backside of Molikini Crater. This is a great drift dive next to the wall at Kims Corner to the End of World.
They will take you too three sites and three tanks. On the Big Island pick up a map from one of the local dive shops Body Glove comes to mind. The Kona Coast area has a number of beach dives. Head down Island and dive the City of Refuge. Enjoy.

I agree with Halemano. I have been diving in Maui for nearly 30 years, ( I visit usually once or twice each year, twice if I can) and have been with Extended Horizons numerous times. They are great. Another good choice, especially for shore diving is Pacific Dive on Dickenson Street in Lahaina. Their equipment is good if you need any rental gear and they are the most reliable if you need or want nitrox for your dives.

If you are staying is South Maui, (or if you feel like an early morning drive from the north) I highly recommend Mike Severns diving. Pauline Severns, (Mike's better half) is absolutely the best on Maui. She is a marine biologist and you will learn things about the marine life that no one else will teach you. She and Mike have written a book on the marine life in the Hawaiian Islands and it's excellent, and Ed Robinson has also written a great book on Hawaiian Island marine life and diving. I recommend reading these before you go, it will improve your dive experience.

I have not done as much diving on the Big Island, but I have been with Dive Makai several times and they also are excellent.

Many people think that diving in Hawaii is marginal. I couldn't disagree more. The only place I enjoy more is the Galapagos Islands.

Good luck and enjoy.

We will be staying in Kihei on Maui. And we certainly don't expect "marginal" diving. We want to see the lava formations, the turtles, the mantas. Being from WV we tend to dive in cold dark lakes and look at catfish!:rofl3: We will be very happy with the diving. We want to thank you all for the info you are providing. This helps us alot!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom