Hawai'i fish and nature book recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

knotical

perpetual student
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
It is my good fortune that I will be moving to Hawai'i soon. I'm interested in recommendations for books / media about Hawaiian wildlife and natural environment, both below and above the water. e.g. fishes, inverts, birds, plants, geology, etc.

mahalo in advance.

k

For fish and inverts I recommend the books from John Hoover - very informative and if something new is discovered, he adds it to his website, so you don't have to wait for it to appear in the next print.

Check out the Hawaiiana section at Barnes and Noble. Many good books there. As for aquatic life, three good authors are Randall, Hoover and Michael.

As justleesa stated: Hoover.

You need two books to start with, the one for fish/turtles/whales (Ultimate Guide) and the one for the invertebrates (Hawai'i Sea Creatures). There are a few other good books out there, particularly if you are looking for a particular specialty, but the Hoover books are good and reasonably complete. Get them first. These are the two books by the computer as I go through all my photos after a dive.

Andrew

Hoover's is best..... covers most of what you will see underwater. A great web resource is Keoki and Yuko Stender's page

Keoki & Yuko Stender's Flora & Fauna ID Site

Also, there is an iPhone app built around Hoover's pics! Yay technology!

G

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom