Trip Report The Domain of Glowing Green Eyes; Night Diving The St Clair River 2022

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Diving the St Clair river in the best of circumstances is challenging even to the most experienced divers. Diving it at night? Is an almost unheard of in the local diving community here. But this isn’t the vanity project of a fool nor a waste of time. Many of the rivers rarest residents and elusive travelers wander freely into your lights in some of the easiest dives you’ll have in the river!

This is a summary of nearly 50 night and twilight dives in Port Huron over April 2022 to November 2022

5B1FD597-422E-4DA6-A955-C7D88553AB6A.jpeg

My dive pit stop lay out, marking the exit and my “sit and wait” point.

B4F27818-D23F-4D13-AA58-B8A70F8B24AC.png

A full moon from 60 feet under

Planning and preparation

This is probably the step that deters most if not all divers from trying a river night dive. How to you not get lost? How do you ensure you don’t miss your exit? Is there even enough light to see? These are all very important questions to figure out before you push off the seawall railing and plunge into the dark fast moving waters. My solution to the problem was quite simple; the strategic deployment of lights near my exit point and around the location I spend most of my time during the dive at. I deploy a line about 100 feet up from my exit point with multiple green glow sticks attached to it. Beyond that is a second line with a powerful red light. I chose red because it’s plenty bright and obviously while also not scaring away the wildlife. Past the lines I also put lights onto the ladder rungs for the exit, these being attached quickly and easily using carabiner clips. Ambient light and water clarity is usually quite good, to the point I’ve successfully done “lights out” dives with zero issues, still able to see and even communicate with a partner. Full moon dives are an incredible scene, you can dive without the use of your light in a strange black and white world. Diving in a new moon is a much different story, it’s the darkest dark you can comprehend.

The main focus of night diving is the wildlife (we’ll double back to this soon) which thankful all rise to shallow waters at night. With that you don’t really need to stray any deeper than 25-30 feet. I’ve been out of 60 feet at night waiting for any activity but saw no fish over several attempts.

There are two strategies that are both equally effective and I recommend you use both over the course of a dive. They are the following: Start far above your exit point and drift. Or, pick a spot and wait for things to come to you.

Many fish will halt their advance upstream as soon as they reach the edge of your lights. It takes them time sometimes several minutes to muster the courage to slowly advance beyond you. Giving you ample chances for up close viewing of many fish you’d in the daytime never be able to come close to.

The glowing green eyes
4F397B3C-4816-4B2A-8633-4887CC530102.png

The two most striking things you’ll notice diving at night here vs say the ocean is the silence, that and the feeling of being watched. There are many eyes watching you just outside of view. Glowing green eyes. Usually you’ll see a single set. Sometimes pairs and other times large groups. While intimidating at first the culprit will soon become obvious………it’s walleye (Sander Vitreus) they come up from deeper waters to hunt along the seawall. Few if any want to be exposed by your lights so they’ll quickly clear off once shinned. But despite this they keep watching you the entire dive just outside of view.

Wildlife

C3238BDB-DC8C-4E4D-9802-0CFD088AD35D.png

A showdown between a Rock Bass and a Blue Clearwater crayfish. One of the many awesome random encounters that happens at night

That’s the main reason to dive at night, to fish watch. The rivers main invasive Species the Round Goby actually sleeps at night and soon after dark they go completely absent making room for native darters, Sculpins, and crayfish to patrol the bottom without harassment from invaders. They are however not safe from many of the rivers top predators. Rock Bass and Smallmouth Bass patrol the bottom as Walleyes look upward for schools of minnows hugging the seawall. When the minnows run (pretty reliably late May and infrequently throughout the year) you are in for a dazzling show!
C1652E3F-7CA1-4A45-B618-A2367AF2E9AD.png

Daytime minnows want nothing to do with you. By night they eagerly flock to your lights and gather around you. Anything to stay safe from predators who you’ll see left and right attacking them. Walleye from bellow, perch mixed in their ranks, and silver bass and steelhead chasing the stragglers.
C2547117-10C9-4472-A030-5049112E7118.png

Silver bass on the hunt
9FC7F406-83E5-4BF2-AB42-339BF01C48B8.jpeg

Steelhead coming in for a close look

565F07BC-0D35-4DD7-9F37-84C99D61E7B3.png
A Shorthead Redhorse Showing it’s under-appreciated colors by night

The biggest draw and thrills come when the unexpected or unusual appear. Trout-perch wandering in from Lake Huron. Schools of alewife or lake whitefish traveling through. Or my personal favorite to catch a glimpse of a salmon or even a close pass by one!

2FFFCD8C-82D7-4950-833F-9E9D1C692651.png

Atlantic Salmon coming for a close pass

The river offers many rewarding sights for those who venture in the dark!

Dive safe, Dive often, and don’t mind the glowing eyes watching you!

0379DB3F-47C0-49C5-915D-F3F2B0A66B24.jpeg

Thanks for sharing. Those are some fascinating pictures.

What kind of current are you dealing with out there? Does it change as you get closer to the bottom or just seasonally?

Thanks for sharing. Those are some fascinating pictures.

What kind of current are you dealing with out there? Does it change as you get closer to the bottom or just seasonally?
So it really varies even consistently diving the same spot over and over again. I’ve had it anywhere from no current to 9 knots. Winds and the direction they come from does play a factor in the current speed as does the topography of the bottom. South generally slows things down, north speeds them up but the “average” current is nothing to scoff at. Every inch of ground you drift is usually lost. But if you find something to hold on to and you over weight it can be managed

I travel out to St. Clair every few months for work and have been wanting to bring my dive gear along. I will have to make a point to do so next trip out.

I have never dove it at night. Sweet images.

I travel out to St. Clair every few months for work and have been wanting to bring my dive gear along. I will have to make a point to do so next trip out.
My best advice is don’t try it alone! Link up with someone who knows where to go

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom