Hawaii Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey Leesa, wanna tell me about your diving career, how it got started, and how you ended up in Hawaii? I am looking for more insight to come there!!

I don't know of anything on Oahu... not sure how set you are on that island, so I can tell you some stuff about Maui.

1. don't expect to get a job on a boat with just a DM cert. Anybody I've heard of getting a job (recently) on a boat here was an Instructor.

2. don't pick your training company based on the possibility of staying with them for a boat job. In fact, I'd suggest the opposite... if you want a boat job, get some boat experience, but do a shore-based DM Internship. Some of the best boats to work on don't have training, and some of the best training ops don't have boats here.

As for making a living... it really depends on what a "living" is to you, and who you get signed on with. The ops I've seen range from ~$20/diver/dive to half the price the diver(s) in your care paid (e.g. $300 OW cert class: Instructor gets $150 per student). If you can get in with a busy enough shop that is understaffed, you might be able to do pretty good for yourself.

I see I see, the helps out a good deal. I am planning to come to Hawaii just for the summer, so I am just trying to find something temporary to escape my everyday life for a few months or so, we'll see. I will take that into note as I make my travels there

ScubaLuuke:
I am just trying to find something temporary to escape my everyday life for a few months or so, we'll see.

I hear you, I'll be making my third trip to Oahu in last year and a half in April. Don't believe any of the negative hype( i hear alot from people that have never been to the Island).

It really is a great place, with all the convienances of the mainland, just in a tropical postcard setting. My wife and I are close to packing it all up(here in Canada) and Oahu is one place at the top of our list to go to.

BTW if you are Diving in Oahu, Lisa(justleesa) and Roger(Turtleguy) definatley Walk the Talk.

CatalinaCanuck:
I hear you, I'll be making my third trip to Oahu in last year and a half in April. Don't believe any of the negative hype( i hear alot from people that have never been to the Island).

It really is a great place, with all the convienances of the mainland, just in a tropical postcard setting. My wife and I are close to packing it all up(here in Canada) and Oahu is one place at the top of our list to go to.

BTW if you are Diving in Oahu, Lisa(justleesa) and Roger(Turtleguy) definatley Walk the Talk.
I have been to Oahu (for my IE). And, after having enjoyed Maui, I can't say as I want to go back.

I don't see too much of a "tropical postcard setting" there -- Honolulu is a concrete jungle with a few palm trees around.

Maui has *most* of the mainland conveniences, but no freeways... :)

Each Island has it's own beauty and appeals to everyone in a different way.

I've been to the Big Island (to short of a stay to make a real statement), Kauai, Maui and Oahu.

Kauai was beautiful - very laid back, tropical country style, a beautiful place to visit, and for me that's what it was a beautiful place to visit, not to live.

I must admit that I really loved Maui and it is a great place but I call Oahu home.

That said, Oahu isn't Honolulu...we have a quite a bit more to offer than just that. It isn't for everybody and Kris I'm glad that you found that your Island of choice is Maui. After all it is a matter of fitting in and feeling comfortable....feeling at home. I felt that way the moment I stepped off the plane - I'm at home on Oahu.

Luke you're going to read a lot of opinions. None are wrong or right. Just opinions - not answers. In the end the only way to know which Island is for you is to try it on for size.

Oahu has one of the best prep schools in the country.

If you have school age kids, the types of opportunities offered by a real city are important to some people....

I don't live in a concrete jungle...but I am 10-15 minutes from town.

All of these are good replies, I like all the input and opinions

CatalinaCanuck:

Double Dittos.

I checked around on prices and I might have saved myself $10 a day booking direct with a boat (and who knows who you're getting as a guide) but I can tell you from experience that I saw more with Lisa and Roger than I would have ever seen with a regular buddy or a less involved guide.

If you're there in the summer (Oahu) you'll be able to do some shore diving, too, if you have a buddy or if you make friends on the Scuba Board. I did one lowly shore dive and it was great- the problem for me was that I was there in late September when the good shore diving sites turning into fantastic competition surfing sites. Hurmph.

Well- if you can pay for boat dives that's my advice. Oahu Scuba Divers www.oahuscubadivers.com -they'll bend over backwards to show you a good time. They also offer some topside tour guide trips if you're up for photo ops. Great people (and, no, I'm not just saying that :) ).

TG

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom