Hawaii diving with the RX100 II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ggibson

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I thought I'd share some of my favorite images from a boat dive in Hawaii (Oahu). Recent storms had kicked up particles, but I still had some fun diving (better visibility than Monterey anyways!).

These were shot with the RX100 mark II in Acquapazza housing, Fix UWL-04 fisheye m67 lens, and a single Sea & Sea YS-01 strobe. I'm still learning to shoot with a strobe, only having used one for a handful of dives. I can already see the need for dual strobes when shooting wide for better coverage and shadow fill. Still, we make due with what we have! I like this small kit quite a bit and it has excellent image quality.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamgibson/albums/72157670852544223

Thanks for sharing, those are some nice shots, nice composition.

I'm using a tg-4 with uwl-04 and ys-03 and thinking of upgrading to the rx100 because of the larger sensor; looks like a worthwhile upgrade!

Thank you! Yeah, it should be a good upgrade since you can keep the wet lens and strobe. The RX100 II sensor is really good--before I got it I was using a m4/3 camera (E-PL1) which has a larger sensor, but the RX100 II image quality is better. I love how wide you can go with the UWL-04, and it's pretty affordable.

I love diving in Hawaii....thanks for sharing your images.....really liked the long nose butterfly fish.

What dive op was this? So I know to avoid them. While octopus handling is a common practice, it is harassment. Divers should know better.

And what is that diver doing standing on the sea floor?

Hopefully this can be a learning experience and not turn into a lynch mob... if the OP is behind the camera he is neither wrangling the octopus nor standing on the coral.

Hopefully this can be a learning experience and not turn into a lynch mob... if the OP is behind the camera he is neither wrangling the octopus nor standing on the coral.

I would think most of us are upset with the dive op, not @ggibson. First time I saw something like that, I didn't say anything to the dive op. Now I am vocal and I stop dive pro's from doing that. I actually intervened underwater in Oahu with an instructor (not associated with the dive boat) in front of his students. I was wondering if he was going to confront me deck side, but he didn't. I figured I embarrassed him enough in front of his students, so I let it be. No need to create a scene for people completely unaware of what happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom