Hawaii - Best Dive on this itinerary??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NitroxAZ

Registered
Reaction score
My step-son and his new bride are going on a cruise around Hawaii for their honeymoon and want to dive at two locations on their cruise. What are the two best dive locations on this itinerary?

Honolulu
Hilo
Maui (Kahului)
Kona
Kauai (Nawiliwili)

Thanks for the help!!!

On Maui, no matter where you stay, you can't beat diving Molokini. A friend of mine did the cruise thing a couple of years ago and rented a car for his stay on maui, drove to the Kihei boat ramp and dove with B&B Scuba. When you dive Molokini the second dive will be at a site closer to shore with a genuine bottom available :wink:. B&B is usually back at the dock by 10am so you've nearly the entire day to enjoy some other Maui activities.

Maui Loved it there

A lot depends on when they dock/get off the boat. And return time. Kahului is on the east coast, all the diving is done off Kihei in South Maui or around Lahaina in West Maui. Due to the tradewinds most of the diveboats leave early - between 6-7AM for the run over to Molokini from Kihei or Lanai from Lahaina. Most also do afternoon shallower dives just off Maui in the afternoon. Probably going to necessitate renting a car for the drive over.

If they have time to be tourists, I'd say try to find something in Lahaina as there's more to see there after diving. But otoh the better dive operations IMO are in Kihei, B&B Scuba, Mike Severns or Ed Robinsons. Diveops leaving around Lahaina are Extended Horizons or Lahaina Divers. LD has the biggest boats so the smoothest ride over if anyone has seasick issues.

In Kauai, Nawiliwili is just a couple miles north of the Poipu Beach area, Sheraton Caverns is a good dive in that area. Again the issue will be that the morning boats leave around/before 8AM.

Contact SeaSports or Fathom Five in that area. I know FF runs a 1PM dive.

If they happen to overnight in Kona, the Manta Night dive is supposed to be spectacular. Jack's Diving Locker is one op that does it.

Thanks for the help. They're off and with everyone's help they chose Kona and Maui. Here's to them having a wonderful honeymoon and a wonderful life together.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom